Little help with computer knowledge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silas, Jan 25, 2009.

1. silas

silas MajorGeek

Alright Now below is two examples I copied off this site of two people posting about there two computers. I always wonder but I know more is better in numbers! But what Iam asking is when you go to wally world you see the tag say blah blah kind of computer- 256 mb this and that and then 2 g of this and that and it has this blah blah thing inside.. I was wondering if theres links or anything that I can learn and read.. about what the "things are in a computer like ex. mother board, drivers, video card.. hard drive.. etc..! Anyways I wanna know what they are, what they do, what is better and why, I see most computers with same kind of stuff but different prices.. and I dont know why. I want to know this stuff because iam a online gamer .. and I lag and I know more ram and this and that is better.. but I want to know what all these things are and what they do and how they help to make things better.. I know a guy that spent 3g on computer home built .. never a smallest lag on it and its huge and tight looking.. but I want to know and learn all this stuff and what this info is.. like why someone had this in it when they can get this one cheaper and such!

Computer make/model: Toshiba Satellite A-200
    -It came with Vista on it (when it was newish), but I had no end of problems, so I put XP on it and it has worked fine since.
    HDD size: 250 Gigs
    RAM: 2 gigs
    Processor Speed: 1.6 Ghz dual core
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino
    Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, 512 mb of memory
    Motherboard: Standard Toshiba make. Chipset: Intel

Intel Pentium D 3.2 GHz Single-Core CPU
    2.0 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    nVidia 7300 GTX 512 MB PCIe Graphics Card
    200 GB HD
    DVD Burner
    CD Burner
    Black Case w/ LCD Display
    500 Watt Power Supply
    80 GB SATA HD

Any ideas on a price?

2. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

Well it's up to you to learn all this shizzle about computers and the parts needed.

;)

www.google.com

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You could try this as a starting point.

For gamers, and everyone else for that matter, Graphics and Gaming Graphics is usually the weakest link in any PC, especially laptops. Once you have decided on one or 2 possibles, then you need to compare the specs and if it is possible to upgrade any weakness. Desktops are obviously easier to change any components than laptops.

Bazza

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks Bazza! I did not know about the Win Pause thing! Tons o information in there if you did a little! :-D

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Great for quickly eliminating the also-rans of your prospective choices. :cool

Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds