Live Mint USB on Ubuntu Dell Mini

Discussion in 'Software' started by radiot, Feb 3, 2010.

1. radiot

radiot Private First Class

I have a dell mini on which I am running Ubuntu 8.04. All fine and good. I am interested in trying Mint on a live USB. I have a 1G usb stick with some data on it. I downloaded a Mint .iso to usb and setup unetbootin-linux-377 on usb stick and got it working. I can boot to unetbootin, (primitive grey on grey screen) but it doesn't see the Mint iso. It says something to the effect of waiting 10 seconds, and loops again.

Do I need to dump data on usb and reformat usb stick? Am I missing a step? is there something else? Thanks

2. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I don't know enough to advise you on how to boot a Live USB stick, but I CAN tell you that if you like Ubuntu, you will most likely LOVE Mint! What version are you looking at? Mint 7 (Gloria) or Mint 8 (Helena)?

As you are probably aware, Mint is based on Ubuntu. I've had quirky problems with Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell desktop and a friend suggested Mint based on the Ubuntu relationship. I was reluctant to put a quirky Ubuntu-based distro on my Dell Laptop after my Dell Desktop experiences. After a LOT of research, I learned that Mint 7 is based on Ubuntu 9.04 and Mint 8 is based on Ubuntu 9.10. While 9.10 has been quirky, 9.04 is widely regarded as being very stable. Based on that, I was willing to give Mint 7 (Gloria) a go, but not Mint 8 (Helena); my friend confirmed his version was Mint 7 and assured me it was stable on his laptop. So I installed Mint 7 and it has been a dream from the first moment; very stable, user-friendly, and "just works". Maybe Mint 8 is also, but I'm afraid to upgrade the version to find out. Perhaps others on here can reveal how Mint 8 works on Dell Laptops, but until they do, Mint 7 is the way to go!

Good luck and enjoy...it's an awesome distro...I love it, and highly recommend it!

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I have Mint 8 on my Dell 8100. I find it stable for me and the networking manager was greatly improved in 9.04 and 9.10 compared to 8.04 You may need to alter some settings for the menu on the Mini. Have you looked at Ubuntu Netbook Remix? You may find someone else who installed UNR on a Mini by searching the Ubuntu Help Forums.

;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds