Livemail

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobeit, Aug 15, 2016.

1. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

I use Windows Live Mail with several hotmail accounts.
    Microsoft have decided to change things, as they do.
    My Live Mail stopped sending/receiving.
    I looked online to see if I could carry on using Live Mail as I don't like web based mail like Outlook.
    Apparently you can.
    After much messing I found I had to add each e-mail address into Live Mail configuring it manually, which I did.
    I can now receive but not send.
    The original smtp port was 25, it wouldn't work so I changed it to 587 after looking on the web.
    This doesn't work either. I get this error

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was '*******@hotmail.com'.

Subject ''
    Server Error: 530
    Server Response: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
    Server: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
    Protocol: SMTP
    Port: 587
    Secure(SSL): No

Any clues? Ta.

2. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

Awww... as I was reading your problem, I was almost sure I knew what it was because my wife had the same problem with her AIM account. I fixed the problem with hers, so it might be worth a shot with your Outlook account (if it's set to POP3).

To fix her AIM account, I checked her settings and noticed she was using POP3. I left the account in tact and decided to test the same account with different server settings using IMAP. It looks like Outlook's settings are as follows:

IMAP (incoming) server name: imap-mail.outlook.com
    IMAP (incoming) port: 993

The rest should be the same:

SMTP (outgoing) server name: smtp-mail.outlook.com
    SMTP (outgoing) port: 587

You want to make sure both SSL and TLS encryption methods are checked off. This worked for my wife's AIM account, but to be totally honest, I don't understand why it worked. Her issue was sending an email, just like you. She could receive emails without an issue. The server settings I changed were the incoming server, so I don't understand how that may inadvertently affect sending emails, which logically would go through the outgoing server.

All I know is it worked, and she can now receive as well as send emails. I tested her account several times by sending an email from her account to mine. We are using Windows Live Mail 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331) just to clarify, and also, to reiterate, I'd leave your original account in tact just in case changing to IMAP doesn't work (assuming you're not already using it).

[EDIT]
    One other thing I remembered when setting up a new account that caused me headaches was in the field that has your username, the login name, it automatically leaves off the domain. In your case @outlook.com. I always add that part back, since logging into something like live.com can have different domains (i.e. @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @msn.com)

sobeit likes this.
  3. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the reply Trex.
    Although it wasn't the answer for me I appear to have made progress.
    How? Not sure to be honest, I just kept trying things.
    Anyhow, I have four accounts, all Hotmail.
    Three appear to be working ok but one is now giving me this error

An unknown error has occurred.

Subject ''
    Server Error: 421
    Server Response: 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 92.242.132.16 (92.242.132.16:587), connect error 10060
    Server: 'smtp-outlook.com'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
    Protocol: SMTP
    Port: 587
    Secure(SSL): Yes

Yet all settings are the same as the other three??

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The outgoing (smtp) server name is incorrect. Should be 'smtp-mail.outlook.com'

sobeit likes this.
  5. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hahahahahahahahaha.
    Thanks Earthling.
    What a pinhead I am.
    I've been staring at the settings so long I've gone maaaaddddddd sir!!
    So, I think my initial problem was not checking 'my server requires authentication'.
    Not sure if it was but it's ticked and they all work.
    Cheers.

6. Earthling

Everyone here has done it, including me. It really helps to take a break and do something else for a while when struggling with computer issues.

7. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Well yes, I've been at it (oooerr) nearly two days!!
    When Microsoft mess they mess properly.

8. Earthling

What OS are you using?

9. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

7. I tried the Outlook.com method but didn't like it so it was either mess or find a different client.

10. Earthling

If you upgrade to 10 anytime it has a first class client, Mail. I've been a Thunderbird user and advocate for donkey's years but not any longer. For other versions of Windows Thunderbird is far superior to WLM and would justify the effort imo.

11. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

I'll take a look at Thunderbird. WLM is a bit more sluggish now as it does more authorizing and connecting.

12. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

13. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks Eldon.
    Microsoft give options for other ways to access your e-mails but they don't explain how to set up your accounts so you can continue to use Live Mail.
    They don't even mention that it's possible.
    I am in the UK and use two hotmail .co.uk addresses.
    All the prompts telling us to change before it's too late never mentioned .co.uk addresses, only .com.
    All four of mine went down, the .com and .co.uk.
    From what I can gather this is an attempt to get as many folk as possible to upgrade to 10 or sell them Office 365.
    I'm OK ish on computers and it took me some searching to sort it out.
    I'm sure many that aren't savvy will have given up and done Microsoft's bidding.
    It's no wonder some turn to piracy.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

15. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Cheers plodr.
    I'm up and running ta.
    Strange what people get used to.
    I had a dabble with web mail but didn't like it.
    Don't think I'd trust purely web based.
    Surely they can pull the plug at any time and that means no records of any important mail?

16. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

With regards to webmail only, I agree with you sobeit.
    I use EssentialPIM which includes a simple/straightforward email client. No matter what happens to Microsoft's or Yahoo's servers, I have all my emails on my PC. Plus I have the database files backed up - I can open them on any PC that has EssentialPIM installed with a simply double-click.

Back to Livemail...
    All is not lost, have a look over here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook.com#Transition_to_a_new_infrastructure
    POP3 works fine.
    Last week I setup an email account for my mom and Outlook.com is now Outlook Mail.

17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've had my juno email since 1996 and my Yahoo since 1999. Haven't lost any email.

If I think the email is important, I may print it out or I might forward a copy to another web mail account. I no longer do anything that is all the important. The perks of being retired!

StruldBrug likes this.
  18. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Eldon.
    Yes I've sorted my Live Mail now, lots of faffing but finally sending and receiving.
    plodr.
    Retired. Sounds good (apart from the age thing).

19. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

I'd say Microsoft wants to promote the use of their new Office program, especially now, since a lot is subscription based now. Which I find just plain greedy... really Microsoft? Don't have enough money, yet? There's a Microsoft Office 365 one-time purchase with no subscription but it's for one PC only. Don't get me wrong, it's a great set of programs, but I would only use Word and Outlook. I can use Windows Live Mail and WordPad for a lot cheaper. I can't justify spending money for a suite of programs that I wouldn't use. If you do your own accounting and such, Excel would be great to have too, but the subject here is a mail application.

I still prefer Windows Live Mail, and in that, I suppose I'm old fashioned. Don't fix what isn't broken... until Microsoft tries to break it, then try to find a work-around. Mine still works fine, but like I said in a previous post, I did have a small issue with it, but was able to sort it out. Still works great! I have no qualms about using the web based logins, but I have too many emails for that. It's much quicker and more efficient to have a program that consolidates them all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds