.lnk files mess up

Discussion in 'Software' started by ooops!, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ooops!

ooops! Private E-2

Hi all,

Help to save my bacon would be greatly appreciated!

I uninstalled a Norton 2008 anti-virus product from my partners PC and everything was fine until re-boot. All files were then changed to .lnk, both desktop and folders. This was further messed up (!) by then associating these files with microsoft word in the 'open with' option - now everything opens with in Word.

Scanned the forums but all help seems to be focused on fixing the .lnk issue so not sure how to proceed.

I can access Regedit via command prompt and managed to enter zipfolder_fix.reg from www.dougknox.com into the registry.

Can unzip 'regfix.zip' from same site which places a 'regfix.inf 'file on the desktop but no green icon. When opening this file I get the window message "windows cannot open this file. Windows needs to know what programme created it, etc." so no go there either. Same with any other files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version you using? (only ask as some steps maybe different with various OS's)

Try this as regedit.exe is the file your after to be able to run that registry fix, when your asked for a program to open this file, browse to C:\Windows and locate regedit, then click Open and continue with the prompts given to merge this registry patch into the registry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds