Loading a ghost image into Raid 0 setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-15281db623, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a second hard drive that would let me run in Raid 0. I currently have only one drive installed. What I want to know is, if it at all possible to make an Image of my current Vista instillation and then install the drives in Raid 0 and then load the image back onto the drives, this time taking advantage of the Raid setup?

I just installed Vista, and have gotten my computer to where I want it. So i really don't want to go through the whole instillation and configuration over again. If I could ghost it, and install the drive, it would be awesome. Otherwise I'd just rather not do it. Unless you think the performance gain would be worth it?

What do you guys think? Possible?

AMD64 3700
    Asus Board
    2GB PC3200
    nVidia 7900GT
    WD WD2500KS HD
    Win Vista

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

It's not exactly a good idea to RAID an OS. It's just according to others ive spoken too..... as it could lead to the OS not properly loading.

Can be issues with raid drivers and Vista!

In my opinion It is better to have one drive for the os and then raid the others.

Good Luck!

3. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

The only thing I've heard that is bad about Raid 0 setup is that is one drive goes bad, then you lose everything. I'm not too worried because I have all my essentials backed up and I'd have a ghost image I could load if that ever happened. I have to look into it more.

The driver part is what worries me. If I load a ghost image, how am I supposed to load the drivers for the Raid first? Unless I install the trial of Vista and load the drivers, and then use ghost to load the image?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds