Local Area Connection - network cable is unplugged

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by badpunk, Nov 7, 2009.

1. badpunk

badpunk Private E-2

Hello

I've been having intermittent internet for the past month.

After several minutes of surfing the internet, the local area connection pops up from the system tray saying that a network cable is unplugged. The notification lasts about 1-3 seconds.

Whenever I try a speed test at http://speedtest.net/ I can test my download speed but I get an error when it tries to test the upload speed.

I'm connected to the internet through a SMC Barricade g (SMC2804WBR) router and a Speed Touch Pro modem. The other computers in the house are all on wireless through this router.

However, only my computer has this issue of intermittent internet. The other computers on wireless work perfectly fine. I've checked the connections from the router to this computer but there seems to be nothing wrong.

Also, I'm using Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 and I'm on Windows XP with windows firewall turned off. Windows Live Messenger works after several attempts to connect but certain people cannot see the instant messages I sent to them. Certain websites give me an error 324 in Google Chrome as well.

I've tried the whole malware removal guide in this forum and my computer's clean and have never encountered such a problem before.

Any help is much appreciated!

badpunk

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack level are you with in Windows XP?

What make and model PC do you have if its a OEM built one as in Dell, HP etc? if its a home build what is the Motherboard make and model?

Just thinking from what you mention that the network drivers are corrupt or may need updating so the above info will help.

Do also disable your Trend Micro Security and test the internet at Speedtest just to rule out it causing the issue.

3. badpunk

badpunk Private E-2

Thanks for the reply,

I'm using Windows XP Professional Version with service pack 3 on an AcerPower F1 desktop pc that I bought a few years back.

I just updated the network adapter on this computer and I've used the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit to turn off all related drivers and services before trying the speed test. However, I still get an error when it tries to test my upload speed.

badpunk

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Two thing to try.

One time without the Router (it is an old Router and might have some problem with sp3).

If it is Not the Router try to temp uninstall "Trend Micro Internet Security 2009" (Uninstall completely. Disable does not get it out of the system).

5. badpunk

badpunk Private E-2

Hello

I've uninstalled trend micro, restarted and tried testing the speed on speedtest.net, but the problems is still there. I've tried several different servers on speedtest.net and they all show the same result.

The router has been working fine, service pack 3 came out last year if I'm not wrong and the other computers that log on to the internet have the service pack 3 and use this router. So I'm not to sure if that'll work, but i'll try it later.

Does it have to do with any settings in this computer? Or maybe a faulty NIC card?

Thanks

badpunk

6. cake

cake Corporal

this is probably WAY out in left field since the rest of your computers aren't affected, but is there any chance your isp is Comcast? i have it in Denver & was having this exact problem for about a month (only 1 pc & an iPhone with a wireless router). intermittent "cable unplugged," loss of connection, resetting my modem & wireless, and the problem still continued for weeks. finally, totally lost all connection.

after several calls, unplugging my wireless router (only use it for my iPhone), and them telling me my modem was fine, the last person checked further & came back to tell me there were problems in my area that they were working on.

ended up with no internet service for 24 hours, but it's been fine once it got back up and no problems since...this was about a week ago, i think.

if this isn't the case, then ignore this.

7. badpunk

badpunk Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

I'm from Singapore, so i'm not using Comcast. My area had internet problems before and they managed to fix it the last time round. But anyway, I don't think its due to the ISP since the other computers work fine.

badpunk

8. badpunk

badpunk Private E-2

Hello

I've tried connecting this computer directly to the internet without the SMC router and it works fine. What are the likely problems involving the router?

Thanks

badpunk

9. badpunk

badpunk Private E-2

hello

I changed the router and it WORKED!

badpunk

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds