Local Area Connection.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Why does my LAN numbering continue to increase? It's currently at Local Area Connection 13! I cannot rename it even though I only have 2 modems.

Is there anyway to reset this in the Registry?

Attached Files:

2. Xernicus

Xernicus Private E-2

I know there's a way to do that in the Network and Sharing center. I've had that problem with Win7 in the past...

Unfortunately, my Win 7 machine is in a RE right now, so I can't check that... but in Vista, there's a button marked "customize", and within that dialog there's an option to "Merge or Delete Network locations".

If I'm not mistaken, you can also open up your Control Panel in category view, and type "manage networks" into the search bar to get to the list of networks.

If you want to try the registry route, I'd place my bets on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\(HEX ID of NIC here)\(More hex)\Connection being the key that you'd want to search for. Don't quote me on that though, I've never used the registry to remove a past connection. ;)

3. Eldon

I tried everything and it looks like I'll have to go the registry route. And yes, the key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} With 27! sub-keys...

After I backup that key, I'll delete 1 sub-key at a time and see how it goes. I'll let you know.
    Thanks.

4. Eldon

The registry edit isn't working. After deleting the keys, my modem isn't showing in Network Connections even though it's working. Also it shows as Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device #5.

I only have 3 - the onboard LAN, mobile modem and smartphone modem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds