local IP bandwidth throttling/monitoring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrampaBob, Jun 21, 2010.

1. GrampaBob

GrampaBob Private E-2

Hey. Is there any free software tools out there that would allow you to view internet traffic moving thru each local IP address on your wireless system? Or how about something that will allow you to throttle traffic thru a particular local IP address?

I have 6 connections going thru my router and want to view which connections bandwidth usage.

Thanks.

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

IP Cop is a Linux based router that has the capabilities your looking for. It runs on a computer with 2 or more network controllers in it. It would replace whatever your currently using for a router.

I ran one here for about 3 years and liked it very much. It has a lot of management features. It only requires a basic computer. I ran mine on a P-III at 1000mhz with 512 of RAM and it performed very well. The only reason I stopped using it was because I needed to setup a VPN and a Linksys router with a DD-WRT flash was much easier to setup.

3. GrampaBob

GrampaBob Private E-2

Thanks for teh reply. I was more looking for something that would just give me a graph or something reflecting the 5-6 local IPs I have connected to my router, and display the internet bandwidth that each connection is using as a poll or per day total.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

There are apps that only check the PCs themselves. But, since you want to check on the router side. I'd ask what router are ye using?

5. GrampaBob

GrampaBob Private E-2

It's a 2wire router. I am using networx on my main computer but of course I can't see the other IP numbers coming off teh router (ie. Xbox, laptop)

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

There may be a solution, all depends on what 2wire model you have.

http://www.2wire.com/index.php?p=106

Which one do ye have?

Note: if it is a particular model, what I may suggest might be technical.

7. GrampaBob

GrampaBob Private E-2

It's a 2701HG-G

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds