Local Machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimW, Aug 31, 2016.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Shouldn't I be able to connect to the local machine using 127.0.0.1?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This is what I get in Windows 10 when I put http://127.0.0.1 in the Address box of Firefox.

Attached Files:

3. TimW

I get nothing.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Only to a server running on the local machine, I think.

127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0 are used in the hosts file to block (points it to home/blank) access.

Mdonah has IIS running, Tim, you don't :)

Imandy Mann likes this.
  5. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

6. mdonah

I get nothing in Edge or IE though. Only in Firefox. And, that's just a screen that came up. I didn't try clicking on any of the tiles.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Perhaps Edge/IE11 are programmed to ignore such a request if there's a default MS server running, try one of the links from inside the Firefox page in IE/Edge?

8. TimW

I have xampp ( with DVWA, also) installed and if I put in the ip of the machine, it should open it. It doesn't.

One tutorial said to put in the local machine address/nvwa and it would open....again, no such luck.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  9. theefool

theefool Geekified

Do you have the services running with the xampp control panel? I did a test run, couldn't start apache, but with tomcat running I was able to connect via http://localhost:8080

Later if I have time, I'll look into the apache issue.

10. TimW

MySQL is running.....no luck with LocalHost:8080

11. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

12. mdonah

On my other machine, 127.0.0.1 produces nothing in Firefox on Win 10 and Localhost:8080 produces "Problem loading page".

13. mdonah

@TimW,

I think you need to turn on all features of IIS in Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off. I brought up 127.0.0.1 in IE 11 on Win 8.1 and clicked on the "Welcome" tile and it brought up a page about IIS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds