Local policy does not permit logon interactively

Discussion in 'Software' started by xikasani, Nov 29, 2009.

1. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

Hi

I have a packard bell R1802 notebook running on windows xp pro sp2. I use a usb dvd writer (Lg GP08NU20) .
    I it switched on this morning after I switched it off last night. When I try to logon (also in safe mode) using any of my accounts (all administrator, including the default administrator account ) I get a "Logon Message " stating "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively ". How can I logon into windows? And I just realised I can't use my dvd writer to load another XP as the system doesn't recognise the disk.
    Help please

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Have you tried Advanced Options Menu>Last Known Good Configuration it will take you back to the last time your pc was working properly ! ;)

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Further to rustyjack's suggestion, does safe mode work?

4. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

Tried safe mode (like i stated so) and last know conf. is the same as a normal boot

5. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

Please Help with real replies, after READING through my statement..
    Thanx

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry.:-o

As rustyjack asks, does last known good configuration work?

7. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

Last Known Good conf. is not working

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

So the computer will not recognise a CD in the drive, correct?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is not really any way to get anything done to fix this if you cannot even boot to an XP CD, aside from taking the drive and slaving it to another system to work on.

Unless someone knows of a USB flash drive program that can read NTFS volumes and bypass permissions.

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Ubuntu can be run from a flash drive if propery configured. Maybe this will work.

11. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

@ collins: Xp cd can't be recognised by my dvd writer

I have a usb casing to make my drive an external, so how would I go about if I was to use my hdd as a slave?

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, you notebook didn't come with a cdrom/dvdrom drive in the first place?!? Or is it not working?

Have you tried booting without the drive connected?

Is this a laptop on a domain?

13. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

The laptop isn't on a domain.

I tried booting without a drive but nothing happened

It's original dvdrom isn't working.. (Unless such knowledge is helpfull, can we not lose track of my problem please )

14. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

I tried booting without a drive but nothing happened, by nothing I mean that the system kept on restarting

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you have checked the bios boot options and it hasnt helped to set it to the dvd drive, then:

You can make a bootable flash drive then with Linux.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Download something like Ubuntu from ubuntu.com and then use unetbootin to make a bootable flash drive.

This assumes your BIOS supports that.

16. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

What I found is this:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5313668.html

Looks as though the Local Security Policy has been changed. The above article does give a couple ways to fix it, though Solution A would be most applicable:

17. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

I really appreciate your efforts but it seems like some people didn't even read my statements.

18. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

The solution I posted quite clearly fits the description of your problem, as a change in the Local Security Policy can stop ALL users from logging on:

As to being able to fix it, you need to be able to connect to the problem computer via network, or maybe stick the drive into a working computer and follow the instructions:

Outside of that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

19. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

Ok, I see. Thanx. I'll surely try that and get back to you if it worked or not

20. xikasani

xikasani Private E-2

Thanx everybody for your efforts and all your posts. I finally fixed that as Tux_Rules suggested.

Thank you all.:)

21. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

You are welcome. Glad we could help. :)

22. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Glad you got it sorted.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds