locating the position wireless switches/routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by funkyp, Jan 2, 2008.

1. funkyp

funkyp Private E-2

hello everybody,
    im new here and i have a question.
    i need a program that can locate wireless objects (not wireless networks) like wireless routers.
    ill specify the exact thing i need,
    i guess that it should be a software that defines the strength of the signal and shows me where the signal gets stronger and then shows me the direction towards the router (so i could find where the have putted the router).
    i would like to know if there is any software that knows how to do that.
    thanks alot.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Hmm, obviously, you aren't the person who installed the router. So, I presume you don't own it and I'm wondering why you're asking this. Is this is a home setting or an office/business setting?

3. funkyp

funkyp Private E-2

actually i'v started working at a company as a information security manager.
    as a part of my job i write security policies.
    now one of the rules is no Wi-Fi networks so no one from the outside could hack into the network and acess the DB.
    but im aware of a wireless network in use, and i cant find the problematic worker nor the router.
    i need to trace down the router so i could find the person responsible for that.
    anyways,
    i havent installed the router.
    if you could help me i'd be glad.
    thanks.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I'm not aware of software that would help locate the source of a wireless signal. Here's an article that came up in a search on find wifi device: WiFi Device Discovery: Tips and Techniques. I don't know whether that helps any. Hopefully, someone else may have some ideas on this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds