locating xp cd key on slave drive????

Discussion in 'Software' started by jay5.0vert, Nov 8, 2006.

1. jay5.0vert

jay5.0vert Private E-2

My computer recently froze up on the activation screen, and will not boot past it , i have my origional xp cd, but was told i needed the key from the regristry . the only way i can open the hard drive is as a slave on my other pc. Anyone know of a program that will locate my key on a slave drive? i tried jellybean, and one other , but they only get it from the machine that i am operating on.......:mad:

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

This should help.....

If you have lost it, you can retrieve it from the Windows registry:

1) Open the Registry Editor
    2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ WindowsNT\ CurrentVersion.
    3) Find ProductId. The CD Key is digits 6 thought 15.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

I could be wrong, but the above will give you the product ID for xp, not the xp key for installation purposes.

To jay5.0vert: What exactly do you mean by saying the computer can't boot past the "activation screen". Is this a new install?

Can ye boot into safe mode?

I'd also use: Keyfinderthing lite

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5253

If the OS was previously on the computer, and you really need the key, and you can't boot into safe mode, you can always copy the above program onto your hard drive from another computer as a slave, then do a repair install of the os. When it asks for the cd key, then you can press SHIFT + F10 to bring up a cmd prompt.

From here you can navigate to the folder you created. preferable c:\kft (for example).

Then type in:

cd\kft (press enter).
    kftlite (press enter).

This should be able to retrieve your key.

4. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

You are right theefool i was shure it was there i just check in my computer it's my ID Product.....

So sorry for that.....

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

No problem! :)

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Gonna drop this in:
    *Hoping you are using this for legitimate reasons, if you perhaps entered your key wrong and would like to try changing it do this:

1) change the registry key at path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents
    key name: OOBETimer
    -By double clicking, just replace a letter or number, this will de-activate your windows so you can change the key.

2) open the key changer:
    start\run type %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    click the telephone customer support
    click next
    click change product key

3) Enter your product key carefully:
    then click update
    *you will be returned to the previous screen and click the remind me later option

7. jay5.0vert

jay5.0vert Private E-2

this problem is on a different computer, WHICH I CANNOT BOOT, so i removed the hard drive and put it in as slave in my other pc. this is a legitimate copy of windows...the computer shop wants 75 smackeroos just for me to drop off the hard drive to tell me my key, as if they are gods or something.... the problem started when i installed new ram , video card, and second hard drive....when i rebooted windows , it sais i need to reactivate.but however, will not let me past the welcome screen. not even in safe mode. i even tried uninstallin the hard ware, still no avail......so i have my copy of xp in hand (legitamitly purchased) :D but i neeed to fetch the key from the hard drive, remember this hard drive is now a slave on my operation pc, i've tried key finders , but they only give the option to get the key from the master drive 's operating system. maybe this was answered already.. if so i appologize. but how do i get this info from a slave drive, which i cannot boot from. thanks a mil guys for your patients and help thus far!

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds