Locking The Computer's Door

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hurrycane, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Hurrycane

Hurrycane Private E-2

Dear MajorGeeks,

Thanks for your site and your help. I am a landscape photographer who like a lot of photographers is always looking to post my work in art and magazine sites. Like it or not, publicity keeps the bills paid.

But now I am not so sure. My handy dandy Sygate personal Firewall keeps catching an intruder from China (I have the IP numerical address) but no one can tell me how to simply close or block my computer's door in order to keep this Beijing guy out of my computer.

Am I missing something or is it true: I can't simply block by specific address this intrusion?

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hi there have just googled Blockng IP's and found this for you to try !

Here is something that I would like to share with every one and quite rare to find out. This tutorial will show how to block IPs on Windows server without firewall using IPSec:

Click 'Start' > 'Run' >type 'MMC' press ok.

In the console click > 'File' > 'Add/Remove Snap in'

In the 'Standalone Tab' click The 'add' button

Seclect 'IP Security Policy Managment' > 'ADD' > 'Local Computer' > 'finish' > 'close' > 'ok'

You should now be back to the console.

In the left frame right click 'IP security policies on local computer' > 'Create IP security policy'

Click Next and then name your policy 'Block IP' and type a description.

Click 'Next' then leave 'activate' ticked then click 'Next'

leave the 'edit properties ticked and click 'Finish'

You should now have the properties window open.

Click 'ADD' then click 'Next' to continue.

Leave 'This rule does not specify a tunnel' selected and click 'next'

Leave 'all network connections' selected and click 'next'

You should now be on the IP filter list. You need to create a new filter, so dont select any of the default ones. Click 'ADD'

Type a Name for your list, call it 'IP block list'
    Type a description in, can be same as name.
    Click 'ADD' then click 'Next' to continue.

In the description box type a description. As its the first IP you are blocking call it 'IP1' or 'IP Range 1'
    Leave ticked the 'Mirrored. Match packets with the exact opposite source and destination addresses'
    Click 'Next'

The 'Source address' should be left as 'My IP address' click 'Next'

You can now select 'A Specific IP address' or 'A Specific Subnet' for the Destination address.
    Type in the IP address you want to block and if blocking a subnet type in the subnet block. Click 'next'

Leave the protocol type as 'Any' and click 'Next' and then 'Finish'

You have now blocked your first IP or IP range.

One of the eUKhost blogs has this explained in more comprehensive way. Link: ASP SQL Blog

*****UPADTE*****
    Now all these has been automated into a script. You do not have to worry about manually blocking IP on Windows server, you can just download the package below, run the setup and you are done. It will scan your server in every 5 mins and block IP address with more than 100 connection. Also it will not block host server IP address as well as those added in whitelist.

Download Link: Browse QaasWall For Windows Files on SourceForge.net

Hope this helps you out

Rusty ;) !

3. Hurrycane

Hurrycane Private E-2

Thanks. I'll give it a go

hurrycane

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Does the above info work for all versions of Windows? From what I read in this quote . . .
    . . . . it would seem the tutorial is for Windows Server versions and not for 'regular' versions like XP Home or Pro, or Vista or Win7. But I could be wrong.

@ rustyjack: can you provide us with a link to the site where you got this info? Thanks!

BTW - very interesting stuff! I'm adding this to my bookmarks!

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds