Locking up and OE Exception errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by LindaM, Nov 20, 2005.

1. LindaM

LindaM Private E-2

When I am browsing the Internet my computer has started locking up so frequently it has become hard to use. I get errors like these: Fatal exception OK 2327:D14F6B97 or OE exception 0028:C00051EF on VxDVmm (01)000041Er etc. Then I have to restart my computer. Sometimes it works, then other times it just locks up again. I have a 5 year old Compaq, 63 MB RAM, and am running Windows 98. I use McAffee anti-virus and firewall. I use Spybots Search and Destroy to search for sypware. What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

See if THIS helps.

3. LindaM

LindaM Private E-2

Thank you. I will try this tomorrow. However, I have another concern. When I registered to be able to post to this forum, I did not include anywhere that I was a Private E-2. Where did that come from? Is it possible that there is something gathering and using data on my computer that the spyware software missed?

4. Insomniac

Once you join this site, then you are automatically conscripted and promoted. :)

Don't worry about the ranks, it's based on how many posts you have, and over a certain number then you get promoted.

It's not based on anything done from your computer, and there is nothing sinister about it.

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

That's a very good and polite explanation. Well done mate. :)

Steve

6. mick062

mick062 Private E-2

Well done you've been a help to many of us. Microsoft also make note that "Insomniac" gave us that McAfee can cause Fatal exception OE errors when running Win 98 or win 98 2nd ed
    I have been having this problem recently.

7. LindaM

LindaM Private E-2

It didn't work. There was no symevnt.386 in the System.ini. Any other suggestions?

8. Insomniac

The problem is that you have Windows 98, which doesn't have many tools (unless you like DOS), and it's been a while for me.

Also, this is a very difficult error to diagnose, especially over the Internet.

Anyway, if you're that way inclined, HERE is a guide.

Faulty hardware can also cause this, so I would download MEMTEST and check your RAM.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds