Locking up XP SP3 windows explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by BCDesign, Aug 26, 2008.

1. BCDesign

BCDesign Private E-2

I am new to the forum here so please take it easy on me. Been using computers for 15 years and I work for a software company (CAD/CAM training and support) so I know enough to be dangerous. I had to format and start over again because of betas and such. Now on occasion it completely locks up explorer the programs I am in still work fine (Inventor or AutoCAD) but no start even the clock locks up. Go to task mgr and nothing showing locked up. It does seem to be bouncing around allot in the resources part like something is trying to run. I don't even notice that it did it until I try to switch programs. Sometimes it does it when I close another program.

And yes I run virus protection and firewalls have not even been that many places since I formatted on the web???

Where should I even start trying to find such a random thing?

XP SP3
    Gateway laptop
    2.2 Ghz 2 Gb Ram
    100 Gb HD

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What you could do is boot into Safe Mode and see if you have the same occurances, possibles are maybe drivers, so as your using graphically intensive apps in CAD/CAM update video drivers, or is this really random in any application you use, like Email apps Word etc

Have you ruled out malware, with some scans at all?

But most likely it could be down to the security applications your running or even if you have say Googles Desktop, its indexer can casue slowdowns at very random times. So using CCleaner and its startup manager or msconfig disable all startups then enable one at a time to see if any of them are causing these lockups.

Check Event Viewer and Applications and System logs for errors or warnings around the times of these lockups for a common application ( .exe or .dll ) causing these.

Process Explorer can also help in narrowing these issues down to a specific cause.

What security applications do you have installed, we may know of one of them that could cause this.

3. BCDesign

BCDesign Private E-2

Symantec

Yea I have ran some scans nothing, I ran CCleaner to see if it could help and have not ran back into it. I am kind of getting that video type error feeling as you said. I have not been able to lock it down to one particular app or another very random. I am going to check my driver and see if I can roll it back to the old one (I got the latest when I reinstalled everything). This was not happing before I formatted so it is a new conflict on computer about a year old. I will try the event viewer and see what is going one in there...

4. BCDesign

BCDesign Private E-2

Good thinking Halo!

See images...

I see the nivida error, do you know what the other two are from?

Attached Files:

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this that helped someone with the DgiVecp error
    http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin/2003-11/4565.html
    Here's a driver page but it is not for XP.
    http://www.runscanner.net/filelibrary/dgivecp.sys.html

It has something to do with Fuji Xerox Work Center Printer.
    You can try this

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds