logitech desktop messenger problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by legolass, Aug 3, 2008.

1. legolass

legolass Private First Class

Hi y'all!
    I am working through your wonderful guide on maintaining my computer and removing malware. I removed the Logitech Desktop Messenger as suggested, but ever since then I keep getting the message "Runner file name (Logitech Desktop Messenger.exe) lacks a '-' (the app id separator)". What does this mean and how can I stop getting this?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Does this happen at start up?
    If so, this may just be a part of the desktop messenger still existing in the start up menu.
    It seems that desktop messenger is just an updater for new logitech products etc.. so no problem removing it.

I suggest CCleaner
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

It has a start up menu manager in it, just go there and uninstall it. (This will pick up more start menu items than using the add/delete program)

Petaluma

3. legolass

It does happen at startup, and also whenever we switch users on the computer.

I tried to delete it through CCleaner, and it gave me "Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks!

4. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Try deleting the Desktop Messenger file from C:\Program Files\Logitech( You did this already I assume?-If not try deleting it ,if it exists then rebooting--this may be the stray piece that is left over),

Did you try any of the other tools that come with CCleaner? registry cleaner etc?

Petaluma

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. legolass

Hi Petaluma!
    Well, this is a prime example of DUH!! Of course when I went into Logitech there was the whole file sitting there. I deleted it but cannot reboot as yet because I'm in the middle of something else, but I'm sure it worked! Thanks very much. Also, I haven't used the Registry thing in CCleaner because I'm afraid. And given my expertise (i.e. lack of) I'm probably right!
    Legolass

6. legolass

Many thanks, Petaluma!
    I have rebooted, and the message is gone.
    Legolass

7. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

8. legolass

Thanks very much, Petaluma. I read thru' it, and although it went over my head a bit towards the end, I got most of it!
    Legolass

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds