Logitech mouse works then stops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BabyGirl27, Sep 16, 2005.

1. BabyGirl27

BabyGirl27 Private E-2

Hi all,
    I have a Logitech mouse (USB) that works for a while then stops. It's like it falls asleep. If I pull it out and put it back in, it starts to work again sometimes. It's really annoying, especially when you’re in the middle of a game. I don’t think the mouse is broken as the red light underneath stays on. If anyone can help, that would be tops.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Can you borrow another USB mouse from someone? If that works OK, then the trouble is with your mouse. NB: Windows might insist on loading another driver with the new mouse detected. If you can borrow the installation CD/floppy, at the same time as the new mouse, that might help. Bazza

PS: If it is a ball mouse, then the ball connections might need cleaning. Turn the mouse over, remove the bit that surrounds the ball, by twisting in the direction of the arrows. Look at the 3 (normally) bars and/or wheels inside. Scratch them with your fingernail to remove any fluff/grunge, rotate and clean each one in turn. It might be the problem, if the insides are grotty. Bazza

Sorry for the "technical" terms. Don't know how else to describe the stuff that accumulates on the ball contacts. Baz
    ===

3. BabyGirl27

BabyGirl27 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Bazza, I have two identical mouse’s (two came with the computer when I bought it) and both do the same thing. I have also tried a new mouse with the same problem. It is not a ball mouse, has a red light at the bottom.

I am currently using a ball mouse with no problems, the problem only happens when I use the Logitech mouse, plugging it into the USB port. Could the USB port be the problem? This is probably a stupid question, but here goes, does the USB need drivers, could they be corrupt or should I replace them. I am really sorry guys that I can not explain the problem better.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I had that same problem, only it's a kensington mouse that stops working...seemed to be only in games...now that i think about it....it hasnt done that in a while....but i did put it in another usb port now, maybe thats the fix? i had it in the usb port on the motherboard, but now its on one of the extensions at the pci slot

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I much prefer a mouse with a ball, although I am currently using a "genuine M$ Wheel mouse Optical USB and PS/2 Compatible", plugged into a PS/2 port. It has a fancy light setup, when the driver is loaded at startup, and stays on.

A ball mouse enables you to "spin the wheel/ball" and requires a lot less hand movement, IMHO. Gotta switch back !!! Bazza
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds