Logon Process Initialization Failure - Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by roger1, May 21, 2013.

1. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi All,

Toshiba Satellite A300 Model PSAG8E
    Windows Vista (32 bit)
    Hard Drive was replaced about 1-1 1/2 years ago.
    NO restore/Backup discs

Have come to switch on PC and get black screen with error message
    Logon Process Initialization Failure
    Interactive loon process initialization has failed
    please consult the eventlog for more details
    press ok

Click ok and message keeps coming up, have tried booting into safe mode, last good configuration - all the same message. cant get past this message.
    Have read previous threads here and via google that mention Knoppix but didn't want to try without real/simple instruction in case I do any FURTHER damage.

Can anybody give me any help in simple steps please. THANKS

I have a recovery disk from a Toshiba Equium A200.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

3. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for quick response, have checked out pjpoon's log but I am unable to get to the command prompt, I can't manage to get past the error message I receive , thanks for your help .

Any suggestions please

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Jumping in here if I may. This may be meaningless, but did you try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt ?? Will it let you get that far ??

5. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi, not able to boot in any of the safe modes - safe, network or command prompt,

6. falconattack

7. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

8. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi, it's starting to look like a restore, the last restore I did was off the backup on the hard drive, will have to find a vista DVD from somewhere, will have to ask friends.
    Any ideas that could get me onto the computer would be much appreciated THANKS

9. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Do you have a recovery partition ??

10. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi, it did have before the hard drive was replaced about 1 1/2 year ago, now I am not so sure, I am almost positive it is. The only thing it has been used for lately was my daughters university work and iTunes music. I was thinking about this knoppix program that I have seen on other threads but not sure how to use it.
    All help is really really appreciated,
    Thanks

11. falconattack

I am reading possible solution to his/her problem , i am trying help with this post my friend :wave

12. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi, really appreciate you all trying to help me .

Thanks

Roger

13. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

roger1...

This was recommended to me by one of the very respected members here:

http://falconfour.com/projects/7

You can see here the developer has chosen to distribute the .iso as a torrent:

https://www.facebook.com/F4UBCD

Download and burn the .iso to a CD/DVD, and you have an excellent tool. I don't know about Knoppix, but I have this tool, and it's a good tool.

From this disk you can run any of dozens of tools. There is a mini Linux tool with tools, too. I think you could start with a chkdsk /r

If you don't have a tool already this is a very good tool. Even if you do, you might look into this, anyway, since there are so many options for testing hardware. Good use of a torrent...

:major

14. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi, thanks will try running the above in the morning
    Thanks again
    Roger

15. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

HI, I have downloaded and burnt to cd .iso file and ran repair tool, ran repair tool sfc scan - unable to repair. I have tried to run chkdsk /r but get message drive is locked, then do I want to dismount the drive to continue chkdsk. I have tried sfc /scannow another message there is a system rpair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again.

Does anyone know what the messages below are? and if so can you help me please. THANKS

Problem Signature: Startup Repair Offline
    Problem Signature01: 6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature03: Unknown
    Problem Signature04: 637
    Problem Signature05: ExternalMedia
    Problem Signature06: 1
    Problem Signature07: Os Version Mismatch
    Os Version 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locate ID 1033

I have checked EVENTLOG & got these errors via SIDE BY SIDE

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\System32\LogonUI.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\X86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_Scb72f2a088b0ed3.manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\System32\SHELL32.dll"
    Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\X86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_Scb72f2a088b0ed3.manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\System32\SHLWAPI.dll"
    Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\X86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_Scb72f2a088b0ed3.manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax

16. roger1

roger1 Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for tools cd on earlier post, still having problem, I have put the eventlog errors into thread, do you have any suggestions on what I can do?
    Thanks

17. Nathanto

Nathanto Private E-2

I accidentally had microsoft fix mine. After trying every route that I could find. I found a copy of microsoft fixit from 2015. I ran it a few times and viola.

18. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

In your Post #15, the 6.0 is Vista and the 6.1 is Windows 7 so, you were trying to repair Vista with a Windows 7 media and of course, it won't work.

19. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

roger1...

Yes, if you do the above as you have mentioned, you should be able to accomplish everything Windows can do to correct your problem. It sounds like you at least are able to boot into Windows now. Running sfc and chkdsk /r is the best place to start I would say.

Here is some info on chkdsk. Note the portion on dismounting the drive:

https://askleo.com/checking-and-repairing-a-disk-with-chkdsk/

Looks like mdonah has it right about the error conflict messages.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds