1. BigBrother70

BigBrother70 Private E-2

Hey guys! Two points if you can:

1. I browse extremely safely and did nothing today but open 3 PSDs for work, all of which checked out in every scan type I tried. Is there a way for you, from these logs, to tell when the infection happened, even roughly, and ideally what the vector/file was? Will help us greatly in reducing any further spread and nailing down the culprit!

2. You have helped me out tremendously over the years. Is there a way for me to donate to show my appreciation for all you do? :)

Thanks so much guys- logs below!

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

What infection are you referring too? You did not tell us what problems you are having. There is no malware in your logs. Just perhaps a little junkware.

3. BigBrother70

BigBrother70 Private E-2

Well, here's what happened- I went to MBAW scan a file as I always do, and it stopped working- would crash. Then I noticed a lot of my web services stopped working- dropbox, things like that. At a friend's suggestion, I tried various websites- certain ones like CNN would load, but others that were more security-focused wouldn't (like microsft.com, majorgeeks, etc.) However, now that I try again, I notice I have terrible internet to virtually all sites. Perhaps this was a red herring all along. Any advice for when router reboot, machine reboot, ipconfig /release & /renew don't seem to give good connectivity back?

Gotta say, am pretty relieved nothing showed up. It's at least consistent with my activity (that being none that should've caused an infection). Perhaps just a wonky network adapter issue.

4. BigBrother70

BigBrother70 Private E-2

No, something screwy is definitely going on. Some sites load instantaneously- like google (with search results) and slashdot. Other sites, like microsoft, twitter, youtube, and facebook can't even be reached. And then others still load but *extremely* slowly (like cnn and evilavatar).

Not saying it's malicious necessarily, but I've never seen something be inconsistent to this degree.

5. BigBrother70

BigBrother70 Private E-2

Also, I should mention- every other device on our network (computers, iPhones, iPads) has zero problem connecting to everything.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. chaslang

Based on all your logs it does not appear that your issues are related to malware. I do notice a possible reason for your networking issues. Results from ipconfig /all for not show any network interface to be properly setup. They are all media disconnected.
    You should try working out your Windows issues and network card issues in the Software Forum.

7. BigBrother70

BigBrother70 Private E-2

Thanks- will do that!!

8. chaslang

You're welcome.

Since you are not having malware problems, it is time to do our final steps:
    1. We recommend you keep Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for scanning/removal of malware.
    2. If running Vista, Win 7 or Win 8, it is time to make sure you have reenabled UAC by double clicking on the C:\MGtools\enableUAC.reg file and allowing it to be added to the registry.
    3. Now goto the C:\MGtools folder and find the MGclean.bat file. Double click ( if running Vista, Win7, or Win 8 Right Click and Run As Administrator ) on this file to run this cleanup program that will remove files and folders related to MGtools and some other items from our cleaning procedures.
    4. After doing the above, you should work thru the below link:

9. BigBrother70

BigBrother70 Private E-2

Well, I *finally* solved it. This one was a real doozy-

- All machines on connection (Time Warner) fine except for problem machine.
    - Problem machine fine when tethered to iPhone (Verizon), not fine when connected to Time Warner via wifi, directly to modem, etc.
    - Further diagnosing determined problem machine, on Time Warner, failing on IPv6 sites but not IPv4 ones (for example, purple.com vs. notpurple.com).
    - Every manner of DNS changing, clearing, IPv6 disabling, etc. tried- nothing.
    - Just now came across a posting online where it was someone's antivirus (though on OSX) causing similar issues.
    - So on a lark decided to look at MBAW, aka the only protector I have running besides Windows Defender, and disabling all realtime protection.
    - TADAAAA!!!! All sites now working. WTF, MB, seriously.. WTF? :)

10. chaslang

Thanks for coming back to tell us. Interesting, but not the first time that we have seen problem with some protection software actually being the cause of problems. I'm not saying it has been MBAM before, but we have seen many time where uninstalling or disabling protection software can solve some problems.

More frequently it has been an antivirus program that has caused the problem. It is possible that perhaps MBAM is not playing well with Windows Defender. Do remember that all modern antivirus programs also contain antispyware type protection. MBAM is not an antivirus. It is an antispyware/antimalware program.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds