Long Boot time in Win XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by The Punisher522, Jul 12, 2006.

1. The Punisher522

The Punisher522 Private E-2

Hi,
    I currently have a custom made computer and I am having problems with extremely long boot times. When I restart the computer, the ABIT logo screen shows up then it goes to the Windows XP professional screen with the blue bar towards the bottom. The bar goes across four times and then the screen goes black. It stays black for 3 minutes and then the Windows Xp user log in screen comes up. I don't know what would be causing such a hang in the boot process. Here are my system specs.

WinXP pro
    ABIT AS8-3rd eye motherboard
    3.8 Ghz Pentium 4 with HT
    2 GB Corsair XMS Pro memory
    250 GB WD hard drive
    Nvidia 6800 ultra graphics card
    Audigy 2 ZS sound card

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Try this, go to my computer, right click, properties, advanced, at the bottom you will see start up and recovery, click settings, both box's will say 30 sec. Put top one at 0, bottom one at 5 sec. See if that helps. ed

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try safe mode. Does it still take a long time?

4. The Punisher522

The Punisher522 Private E-2

It still takes really long to boot even into safe mode. This problem began happening after my motherboard battery went dead and reset the bios. Ever since I replaced the battery and put my bios settings back to how they were, it has taking long to reboot.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

In your bios, what's the boot sequence?

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That has NOTHING to do with it.

That's only when you're dual-booting. With a single operating system, it does nothing.

Set your Bios to use fail-safe or optimised defaults.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds