Long continuous post error beep!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ahurlburt4, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ahurlburt4

ahurlburt4 Private E-2

Hey all,

I just recently got a large hardware upgrade (new mobo, video card, psu, RAM) and have run into problems getting things up and running. Here are my new specs.

Asus P5N-D 750i
    OCX GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    OCZ DDR2 PC26400 RAM (4GB package)
    Corsair TX 650W Power Supply
    Note: Using an Intel Pentium D 2.66 mhz processor from old system

I had a friend who is very experienced with installing computer hardware come by and over-see the installation. Everything was double checked that they were installed properly. When we powered on the system we got a long continuous post error beep coming from, i assume the motherboard. We tried disconnecting the RAM (didn't have another stick of working compatible DDR2 RAM to test with) and still got the same thing. My buddy seems to think my CPU may be the problem, as the video card was tested to work fine.

I guess i should also mention that last week i had a PSU malfunction that may have fried my old motherboard, so there is definitely a possibility that the old PSU also took the processor with it as well... Anyone have similar issues or know what a continuous loud post error beep on an Asus motherboard means? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well it depends a bit on what BIOS you have what a continuous beep can mean but in general it means there is a memory error but can mean a system board failure or even a PSU failure.

So what BIOS do you have?

3. ahurlburt4

ahurlburt4 Private E-2

Well i googled information on my board and it looks like i have SM BIOS 2.4 - Award BIOS ... Im not very experienced with BIOS versions and their settings so im not sure what that means... I searched my boards BIOS error beep codes, and found a site that claims it does in fact mean a memory error... Do you suggest i just exchange my OCZ memory for a different brand and try again? Thanks so much for your help so far Yargwel

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well before you do that, what configuration is your RAM in ie is it 4 x 1Gb sticks? If so remove all bar one and try to reboot. If it works add another stick and reboot again. If with just one stick in place it fails to boot first move the stick to a different slot. Try them all then if it still fails try another stick of RAM and repeat. You may find either one bad stick or possibly one bad slot.

5. ahurlburt4

ahurlburt4 Private E-2

My RAM is actually 2 x 2GB sticks. Thanks for the tip, i will definitely have to try this out tonight. I will post the results tomorrow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds