Longhorn Comments

Discussion in 'Software' started by DOA, Nov 1, 2003.

1. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1356731,00.asp

is an appitite wetter.

Hopefully MS will listen if we get their attention soon enough.
    Observations:
    1) More eyecandy is cool, too bad it is not used to speed up the tasks. There are bigger and more detailed Icons instead of easier more powerful controls.
    2) No improvements planned in the actual secruity problems, just more control of the data flow. Which means MORE vulnerability not less.
    3) DX9 required for the full interface (nVidia owners need not apply unless nVidia makes a new card)
    4) Task oriented OS may be a good idea. Is this close to Open Doc that Apple was forced to abandon by MS? Only without the advanced plug ins that made it so productive?

More to love? More to hate?

2. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

I have to say that I'm slowly starting to see a bit of light in Longhorn. However, I still think that I will endeavor to make the switch fully over to Linux by the time that Longhorn gets out. They're predicting 2006, so I've got plenty of time to learn and adapt.

I believe that Microsoft has made the conscious decision to make an OS that will appeal to the masses. What is unsaid there, but implied, is that it is not designed to appeal to the desires of the advanced computer users. Hence, pretty animations, less powerful controls, more control over what you can and can't do with your computer and with the data on your computer. Don't get me wrong, I still think that Longhorn will completely change the look of home computing and will be relevant for the large majority of IT professionals, it's just that Microsoft is making a product for those of us who don't want to bother or have the time to use an advanced Linux based OS.

I think that it is very likely that Longhorn will launch with DX10. Two and a bit more years is plenty of time to get there, and it makes sense to have a whole new DX when you're designing a whole new way to compute.

IMHO, Windows XP is their best OS. It is user friendly, stable and powerful. It doesn't cross the line into controlling your computer. Longhorn will beat the snot out of XP in terms of ease of use for new and non-advanced users, will be faster and more powerful at certain applications, and will redefine computing (as Linux and Apple have been doing their whole careers...), but, I don't think that I'm going to jump at it.

3. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

My opinion is pretty much the same as Genius Boy's.
    I only wonder which version of Linux to start with.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

did you guys hear about the new CLI they are putting into it?

5. Johner

Johner Private First Class

CLI? Command Line Interface?

6. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

As long as it's not DOS *gags* I hate DOS... with a passion.

OS shmos, I use int 0x16 :D :D

Now seriously, if it had somehting as powerful as UNIX then I'd be all over it, but it's not, because they're not gonna try to appeal to UNIX geeks, *shrugs* I don't care, it's 2 and a half years from now, the only thing that's gonna happen between now and then is faster computers and about 30 remote root holes.

;)

Hopefully MS will amazingly actually do somehing in those 2.5 years and patch David's holes in Stack protector

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds