Looking for a boost.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by comperroruter, Mar 8, 2009.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I am running Vista SP1, 4GB's RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, and Nvidia 9800GT Graphics card(s). I am currently connected to the internet through Comcast Cable and would like to know if there are any tweaks I can safely and legally use to boost the speed of my internet connection. I use Mozilla Firefox, though I do not use Fasterfox or the other add-on because they tend to make FF crash when I do use them. I know there are tweaks I have used before, I think I got them through RegScrubXP, but I assume they would not be valid with Vista. Any assistance, links, or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What, exactly, is the problem? Apparently, you feel your Internet connection speed is not up to par. If so, why do you feel that way?

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If you use this to test your speed and see how close it is to the speed your ISP says it is supplying.
    The readings can vary at different times of the day.

http://www.speedtest.net/

this is mine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Would do as Bill mentions and see how far off your actual speed is and bare in mind with overheads its not going to be exactly what your package max is, and test as various times of the day for an average.

But one of the better set of tweak instructions I seen for Firefox is this http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/tweaks/firefoxtweak/4.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds