Looking for a cheap/decent router...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LoneGreyWolf20, Oct 9, 2006.

1. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Well, once I get my brother-in-law's computer fixed, we will need to network the both of them and probably 1 other computer. I'm looking for a router that is easy to set-up and isn't that expensive that is good for gaming. We have a 5mb/384k cable connection and I have never had to network computers for internet use other then putting in a nic card and plugging in the ethernet cable :cool:. I know that they all have some sort of built in firewall and that's going to be my issue. Like I said, it needs to work for gaming.

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

Gosh Dude, if your looking for someone to tell you which router to buy you might be hard pressed. Are you looking to use wireless in your network at any time? If not you can pick up a linksys, netgear, dlink, ect... for under $50.oo. Even cheaper if you look around the Sunday newspaper flyers. 99% of the SOHO routers you buy now will have Port forwarding and port Triggering built in. That is what you will need to game. Some manufacturers call it something different like virtual server but it's all the same. Shop around, look at prices, look at features and make a decision. All the main brands come with a web GUI interface to program the router, all will have quick setup instructions even a wizard to go through if you want. If you have specific questions about port fwd'ing on a particular router then thats when you need to hit the forum up.

good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds