Looking for a good, cheap Solid state

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goomma, Sep 14, 2012.

1. goomma

goomma Private E-2

Recently i have been looking at SSDs (Solid State Drives)
    My current drive is a 1tb Hitachi 3GB/s and my motherboard supports up to 6GB/s, looking for a good increase for speeds and such

I was thinking around 128gb would do just fine for me. Mainly for playing games and video editing.

This is the one i am currently leaning towards using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

SSDs used to be a little over a dollar(USD) a Gigabyte, They have dropped in price quite a bit.. Should i upgrade sooner or later? If sooner, which one should i get :p

Thank you for reading

~goomma

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The OCZ vertex range is an awesome choice and is what I have,you won't go far wrong making that purchase.:)

I've found most SSD's are priced close to their level of performance,more so than other PC components so whatever you spend you usually get what you pay for in one performance area or another even if they look similar on the surface.

That deal look's very cheap to me but I live in the UK and would have to pay around $150 for that drive.

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I swear by OCZ, and the newer Vertex 4 series sometimes makes me wish I waited a bit longer, but I'm not complaining about my Vertex 3. My old 500GB Seagate is just a storage drive now.

I just upgraded two laptops to SSD last week for a co-worker, and he is nothing but happy. The performance, speed, and fast boot times can't be beat by a mechanical drive, and Apricorn is nice enough to give you software upgrades for free, no matter how long you have owned a DriveWire tool, so cloning can be a snap!

Whichever make/model you choose I highly recommend an Intel Sandforce controller, and make sure your motherboard is compatible with an SSD. I have seen some that don't "play well" with them.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I use a Crucial M4 in my netbook. Very stable, no problems with it. Personally with the direction that Newegg is going, I would stear clear of them, since they have really gone downhill in the past two years.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds