Looking For A Good Media Card Reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

My current digital camera does not have a USB interface. So, I thought I might look for a good USB media card reader. My camera uses the small, square media cards. Sorry, I can't remember what they are specifically called. Well - actually, the reader will be for my wife as it is her camera. That is why I can't remember the name of the media card. She is always complaining about how slow transferring is.

I do not need anything fancy. I am thinking maybe 20-30 bucks? Or maybe up to $40. Oh yeah - is the USB device worth the investment? Is it much faster than my previous interface?

Can anyone recommed a good one?

Thanks.

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

What kind of camera? Model?

Memory card readers are great, but they break easily, at least from my experience. My friend has a 'base' that he bought for his camera, it is USB and he just places his camera in the base and it automatically transfers the pictures for him and it is very fast. I would go with a base or something first.

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

It is an older camera, so the USB base is not an option. There is no interface for the base. The camera is more than adequate, even though it is old. I can't remember the make of the camera at the moment.

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You can often find Lexar JumpCables or Sandisk brand for under $20, and they require no drivers under WinXP. I have both brands, and one model is a dual slot that reads both CompactFlash and MemoryStick.

5. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

How fast is USB interface? Do you think it is fast to warrant the purchase? I don't really use the digital camera, so I really can't comment on the current speed of transfer. I just know it does seem to take quite a bit of time and my wife complains alot!

6. brandoncwilson

brandoncwilson Private E-2

Does your computer have USB1.1 ports or USB2.0? USB2.0 runs at a lightning quick 480Mbps. It is definetly faster that USB1.1's slower 12Mbps, but realistically either type of port will transfer all of your pictures quickly from off of your CF card.

Card readers are really cheap. 20 to 30 dollars will often get you a card reader that supports all the different media types out there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds