Looking For A Means To Name A File/Folder In A Sequential Manner? Please read on...

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, Oct 28, 2011.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have a question to ask you.

Is there a means or a way to set the method of naming a file or folder in a sequential manner (an suffix extension to the filename like “1”, “2”, “3”, etc.; or “A”, “B”, “C”, etc.) when a user has copied or moved of a file or folder to a folder where the same file or folder name already resides or exists?

I am also hoping for the means for the user to ACTIVELY SET OR SELECT (‘customize’) the sequential manner of an extension to the file name and then ‘set it and forget it’ so NO query is raised (in the form of some GUI [Graphic User Interface] window to appear) during the process of moving or copying the file or folder to a folder where the same file or folder name already resides?

I am not sure if there is some third party program, application, or software to install that performs like what I am asking above; or if there is some system registry or system directory modification or change that allows for this (I would think that it has connections with Windows Explorer is some manner.)?

Please provide your own detailed written steps, facts, suggestions, hints, and tips; and/or the best possible well written, detailed and documented website links.

NOTE: For your information, I am using Windows 7 64-bit operating system which would be implicated with this issue.

Please reply.

Thank you!

2. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Re: Looking For A Means To Name A File/Folder In A Sequential Manner? Please read on.

***Let me add an important point. I see it is potentially possible as a reader who has read my above initial question may have misconstrued my methodological instruction which after re-reading my initial post, I understand your perspective and I was not clear enough. Sorry about that! You may be thinking of a “mass renaming” of files and folders where I would have a 'GROUP of files and/or folders ALREADY' to rename. NO! Sorry! What I am asking is when I add (key words) *one-by-one* either a file or folder to a folder that has a file or a folder of the same file or folder name inside, it would assign a new file or folder name extension in sequence?

Please reply.

Thank you!

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Looking For A Means To Name A File/Folder In A Sequential Manner? Please read on.

I have been wanting such a fix for years.

I looked around these last several days but have not found anything. Strangely, I thought I read something about a month ago that sounded like it might work but didn't investigate.

I know, way back in the day using Unix, that files were always automatically saved sequentially. ie. I had report.txt in a folder/directory and when editing it and saving the changes it was saved as report01.txt. Another "save" and it was saved as report02.txt with no input from me. Very handy. Periodically, you just removed old editions you no longer needed.

It seems unbelievable that no such function is available in Windows since it is so useful. Maybe it has something to do with it being such a basic integral part of the Windows shell/command.com itself and is difficult for a third-party fix?

If you ever find a solution or work around please post back. I will do the same. :)

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just to add, it is strange that both FF and IE do this automatically when downloading files to the default download folder. So it is possible for a program to do it but apparently not in Explorer.

ie, I download a copy of someone's MGlogs.txt one day and then another day download some else's MGlogs.txt and my browser is able to check the download folder, realize a file with the same name exists and automatically rename the current download as MGlogs(1).txt with no input from me.

But regular Windows Explorer is unable to do the same. :confused

Just from my lack of being able to find a tweak, it would appear that is something that would have to be changed in Explorer itself. I've never found a place to recommend suggestion to MS that actually get any feedback. I guess, they don't really want any suggestions from the 99%.

5. unimatrix001

unimatrix001 Private E-2

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Supercopier 2 will rename folders / files and add a number, there is an option, you can change the format of the name too. It doesn't give you the option to make your own name during the copy process.

TeraCopy will do a rename during copy, again it doesn't ask it just appends a number.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds