Looking for a particular system monitoring program

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 16, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I need a program exactly like HWmonitor, but it has to keep a log of the temps and voltages, not just a one-time report, but a log where every 5 seconds or so the temps/voltages are added to the TXT file as a new entry (or on a new line or a new section), and each entry would have a timestamp. I need this 'cuz I have a PC here that is shutting of at random, and I'm having a heck of a time tracking down the cause. I've tested the HD, RAM; both are 100% OK. I've tested/swapped the power supply. The temps and voltages I've seen have been completely acceptable, but it seems like whenever I leave to do something else, I come back and the PC is off. The motherboard has no popped capacitors and was recently replaced. All sleep and hibernation settings have been disabled. So- I need to log the temps/voltages so I can track exactly what's happening when my back is turned.

THX!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

.... so when the PC shuts off, and then I power it back on and load to the desktop, I can check the log and see what the temps & voltages were when it turned off, and what the time was when it happened. Nothing in the Event Viewer has offered any clues.

3. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

Have you cleaned it out with air blaster?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Of course.

@ lbmest: yeah, I installed and ran OCCT, but could not find a setting or option where it would actually save a log TXT file. It recorded the temps and voltages on a graph, but if the system shuts off, there's no evidence remaining that would show what the temps and voltages were at the time the PC shut off. I need a TXT (or similar) log file that gets updated and saved every 5 seconds, and each entry in the log file needs to have a time stamp. That way, if I don't get back to the PC for an hour and it shuts off at some point during that hour, I can check the log file and see exactly when it shut off and what the recorded temps and voltages were right before it shut off.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Speedfan

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Ahhhh.... ye olde SpeedFan. I was never a big fan (no pun intended ;) ) of this program 'cuz it seemed to produce erroneous temp readings on some systems; when HWmonitor or Everest were run the same systems, they had VERY similar readings, but SpeedFan was WAY out there with some negative temps like -79C.... but I'll try it again. I haven't tried it in quite some time so maybe they've worked out the "bugs".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds