Looking for a program I lost when my HD died

Discussion in 'Software' started by mladyraven, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I cannot remember the name of the program or if I found it here or it is a FF add on I cannot find it anywhere.
    The program sets your computer to change hues as it gets later. It turns the pages kind of pinkish. The reasoning being that using the computer before bed is not good for you and this program softens the computers monitor glare and color.
    I really liked it. As soon as the sun when down it changed the settings of the monitor.
    If anyone knows the name of the program I would really appreciate a link or at least the name so I can try to find it.
    Thanks, I kow this is not a lot of information to go on.
    XP SP3

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Wow sounds cool and something I need to use. I'll see if I can find anything like that.

3. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

deleted

5. plodr

I might try this on my test computer and see if I like it. I'm glad you were able to track it down.

6. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I am glad I found it too! Just put it on my computer and it is working even better then before. I like some of the new features and I can change location if I want night time light to start later or earlier.
    Hope you like it.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I certainly do, so helpful to tired eyes at the end of the day. :wave

8. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Ok. This just seems amazing. I would like to give it a shot, but I would like to know how it works. Better yet what's everyone think about it?
    (Not meaning to hijack this thread just curious.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Spock,

I've only been using it for a couple of days but I think I like it. It basically just changes your monitor settings to the "warm colors" setting at night time. It is little too red IMO but you can always turn it off if you are really studying a photograph or something. And you can adjust the brightness/color warmth with a slider--I set mine up just a bit from the default.

Basically, you just install it and it sits in your system tray and it knows your time and location (from ISP or time zone?) and after sunset it warms up the colors of your monitor and decreases brightness then in the daytime it goes back to normal.

Give it a try! :)

10. Spock96

Sounds cool. I'm gonna try it. Thanks for the "review".

11. Spock96

Wow. This is cool. :-D

12. sach2

Haha, I have a love/hate relationship with the red but after about half an hour click on the icon to open the program window and click anywhere in the box with the little sun/moon and it gives you a 24hr preview. It is blinding! I don't think I can go back to normal settings at night anymore.:-D

13. Spock96

I don't think I can either.
    The only thing is that the color is red/orange-ish and my desktop background is primarily orange.

14. Earthling

Maybe you live in Santa Monica or close? That was the location when I installed it, only about 7000 miles out, so probably just defaults to that ;) but right click the tray icon and you can change your location. I just entered my UK postcode and it seemed to use Google Maps to locate me.

Colours must vary between installations (graphics cards/monitors), as nothing remotely bright here, just subtle hues, very pleasing.

15. sach2

Hi, I checked my location and it also said Santa Monica. So I entered my zip code and it found me. :) I thought it might of used IP information for a rough geographical location but I guess i was wrong--it was way off (I'm on the East Coast). Thanks!

The brightness, I just meant after looking at the warmed up screen for a few hours if you hit the 24 hour preview it shows you how bright your daytime settings really are and they seem blinding. I agree it is a pleasing program and effortless too.

16. plodr

I haven't installed it yet. My 19" Samsung monitor has decided to act up. I see a flash of desktop then a completely black screen. If I turn it off and then turn it on, the same thing happens. (Tested on 3 different computers; next I'll replace the VGA cable and hope that is the problem.)

I'm currently using a Westinghouse LCD that is not up to the quality I was used to.
    Eventually when I settle down on a new monitor, I will set this up. (One problem at a time).

17. sach2

18. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, my first night with the change. It darkens MG's somewhat but the real difference is with sites that have a white background, I'm impressed with the program but not my 24" BenQ HDMI monitor with SenseEye which is supposed to have the same functionality though I haven't fooled with it yet, even if I could. Almost too dark for me really on default. Gotta fool around with f.lux.

19. plodr

I don't trust my soldering skills to fix capacitors, if needed.
    My desktop, with all the icons displays on the 3 computers. In fact, at times, the display stays on and I can use the computer but I didn't because I wanted to shut it down properly when I got a display.
    I also have another cable (HDMI?) but no computer to test it with.
    The monitor has served me well for quite a few years so I can't complain if it is gone.

I have a spare 22" monitor but it has a glossy screen and I prefer matte so that's why I haven't hooked that one up.

At this point, I'm not sure what directions I'm headed.

20. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I am glad I found the program again, and pleased that so many people are enjoying using it.
    Question is anyone else finding that it is effecting FF?

Is anyone else using it with FF?

Thanks
    Raven.
    Plodr, good luck with you monitor, sounds like time for a new one. I am looking for one too. I am concerned about buying a refurbished one, any opinions re buying refurbished monitors?

21. plodr

I bought a refurbed CRT years ago from a certified Dell distributor. It was still working when I decided to e-cycle it and replace it with an LCD so my experience was good.

22. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Thanks, I have seen them on Amazon and GeekMail from Geeks.com. I bought a refurbished web cam and that was a disaster.
    I was told to buy one from Tiger.com. I think I need to go to a Dell Distributor, I have a Dell Computer.

Again, is anyone having conflicts with XFlux and FireFox?

23. sach2

I have no conflicts with X-flux and FF. In fact that is mostly what I use it for is to soften the white backgrounds of webpages. What sort of conflicts are you getting?

On refurbished monitors--I think I bought one at a computer show many moons ago and it lasted about 2 months. I would choose the vendor carefully and look for how long the warranty is good. Make sure the cost difference between new and refurbished is worth the gamble. You monitor gets a lot of use.

24. Spock96

One quick question. Can you run this without an Internet Connection? Might refer it to a friend who doesn't have internet access at their place. The reason I ask is dealing with the settings for when it changes and that.

25. Earthling

You do need a connection to set your location. Without one it will set your location as Santa Monica Ca. It needs to know when dawn and dusk occur for your location.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds