Looking for fan CFM rating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a 'generic' 120mm fan here and I have not been able to find the CFM for it.... all the info is in the (poor) picture below. It's a sleeve bearing fan with a 4pin molex connector....

Attached Files:

• fan.JPG
      fan.JPG
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I thought Novice was on to something at first, until careful examination shows different logos on the fans. You will not be able to find out the CFM of this "generic" fan unless you measure it yourself, and I don't think it likely you (or anyone reading) has the sophisticated measuring equipment to do that.

The CFM is determined by many factors besides just the blade length - there is also the pitch and depth of the blades, as well as the rotation speed, among other factors.

Are you having heat problems?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

No, no heat problems. The truth of the matter is that I just bought a new CPU cooler (more info here) and I had this extra 120mm fan laying around and was thinking that maybe it moved more air than the fan that was included with my new CPU cooler. I might add this generic fan as a 2nd fan to the cooler for a push/pull cooling setup.... I'm just curious about the CFM more than anything....

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ Novice: thanks, but I'm not sure that the fan(s) in that link are exactly the same as the one I have. The logo is different, and the model numbers appear to be a bit different too... however, I have a feeling that the numbers shown are pretty close to accurate. I don't think this 'generic' fan moves much more than 70CFM.... or does it? ;)

6. Digerati

They may be accurate, but it would not wise to make such an assumption. Note the following two Thermaltake 120mm fans in this Newegg comparison. Both are 120mm fans with sleeve bearings but one moves 56% more air.

Note these two AeroCool 120mm fans, both with sleeve bearings, both running at 1800RPM, and both the same 25mm thickness, yet one moves 35.7CFM and the other moves 250% more air at 89.39CFM!

So my point is you can't look at photos and get the big picture. You have to look at the specifications for each specific fan.

Push/pull? That sounds like an excellent way to cancel the effects of each fan, seriously degrading the cooling efficiency of the assembly, and perhaps destroying heat sensitive components! Quality cooler makers use aerodynamic engineers, computer modeling applications, and even wind tunnels to design their products. Are you really qualified to second guess their design? Especially when you say you have no heat problems?

I feel I must caution readers that using any 3rd party cooling solution on an AMD or Intel "retail" version CPU that comes with a heatsink fan assembly VOIDS the warranty on the CPU. So caution must be taken. Read your warranties - or seem my canned text on that topic here.

Also note much of your cooling efficiency depends on a proper application of TIM.

Finally, a case has two functions - to protect the components inside from accidental kicks and bumps, and to provide enough front to back air flow to adequately expel generated heat.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I think you misunderstood.... there would be a fan on one side of the CPU cooler blowing air into it, or 'pushing' air thru the cooler. One the opposite side of the cooler would be the 2nd fan blowing in the same direction, sucking air thru the cooler, or 'pulling' air thru the cooler. This type of configuration is well known as a "push/pull" type of setup. Whenever you see a cooler with 2 fans on it, it is a "push/pull" type of setup. For example, look at the picture below, it illustrates what I'm talking about pretty well:

[​IMG]

The pic is of a CoolerMaster Hyper520 dual fan cooler that ships with 2 fans in a push/pull configuration. With both fans blowing in the same direction, you get more air flowing thru the cooler, therefore increasing the effectiveness of the cooler.
    ;)

8. Digerati

My mistake. Yes, with that type cooler, a push/pull setup would be fine.

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, I know all this. But the CPU cooler I just purchased includes a 2nd set of mounting clips for a 2nd fan. The 'back' side of the cooler has notches in to which these clips would go when attaching the 2nd fan. The manual for the cooler clearly states "upgradeable to dual fans"; this is also mentioned on CoolerMaster's web site (I bought the Hyper212+; link: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2923). Here's a pic of my cooler showing the 2nd fan option:

[​IMG]

10. Digerati

In this case, you are not second guessing anyone so no problems there either.

I see no reason why it should not work - but again, if your temps are good now, adding another fan will really serve little purpose - but it will add noise, and consume power.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds