looking for freeware to help download faster with opera

Discussion in 'Software' started by red death68, Oct 30, 2009.

1. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

title says it all my opera runs like crap when im downloading but doesnt seem to be using many resources

most downloads crawl at 5-20 kb/s its always changing its speed it will be going good then go way down then level back out just a bit

all suggestions are welcome (please dont suggest i use ie i dont trust it)

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Well, red death68, what version of Opera do you have? Last I heard, there was 9.64 and 10.0. ... OK, I personally prefer IE! Just had to get that out :-D
    OK, are you on a dial-up connection, or hi-speed?

3. red death68

um i believe its considerd high speed its a 54.0 Mbps and its opera version 10.01

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have SuddenLink cable(6MBs) and I get anywhere from 75KBs to 850KBs, depending on where I download from and how many bounces it takes to get to me.Also using Opera (v 9.63)

5. red death68

i am actualy thinkin it is my opera because it will download at 62kBps normaly i think where as for some reason my firefox run at 121kBps and higher and my opera wont let me download certain things it will say downloading and download a 100MB+ file with only like 23 bytes where as my firefox works perfectly. and furthermore my opera keeps having me open up a web document (i forgot the format) and when i do it loads a blank white screen till i press refresh so i am fairly certain it is my opera

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Opera normally opens a blank page when a download begins. Even if you install FDM and configure Opera to use it, a blank page will still open and should tell you that the download has been transferred to FDM. As for the fluctuation in speed at the beginning of a download, that is pretty much normal while a consistent transfer rate is being established.

FDM works well with Opera 10.01 and is a fine download manager.

7. red death68

ok but i think you miss understanding the blank page thing when i go to follow certain link to a download link page it gives me a white screen and asks me to open some type of web doc(forgot format rofl) and when i say yes and it "opens" all i get is a blank screen until i press refresh then the page appears. it does the exact same thing when i click the download link on said page

8. plastidust

You're right, I misunderstood. Post one of these trouble some links so I can give it a try. The only time I've had something like this happen is when java script is turned off.

9. red death68

they are primarly things like rapidshare

10. plastidust

Can't help much there as I don't use RapidShare. The only thing I can suggest is, go to the RapidTools page and try the RapidShare Checker. Maybe that will give a clue as to what's going on.

Evidently a RapidShare.com account is not recognized by RapidShare.de. Don't know if this could be the problem or not.

BTW, I get 'This page needs JavaScript, to display all information correct!' plastered on all the pages at RapidShare.com but not at RapidShare.de.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds