Looking for HD advice for Asus P5N-E SLI Nvidia nForce 650i

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThinkBachs, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ThinkBachs

ThinkBachs Private E-2

First, here's the specs...

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz x 4 cores, 8MB L2 Cache
    Video Cards: 2 GeForce 8600 GTS's, 256MB each in SLI Configuration
    Motherboard: Asus P5N-E SLI Nvidia nForce 650i, 533, 800, 1066, 1333 MHz FSB, 4 x Dimm Ram Slots, 6 channel Audio, 4 SATA Connectors supporting RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, and JBOD, 1 e-SATA port, 2 PCI-Express x 16 slots, 1 PCI Express x 1 slot, 2 PCI 2.2 slots, Gigabit LAN, USB 2.0 + Firewire
    RAM: 2 GB OCZ Platinum rev. 2, PC2 6400 800MHz
    Hard Drive: 250 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2 300, 7200 RPM
    DVD's: LG SuperMulti DVD+-R/W CD-R/W with LightScribe and LG DVD-ROM Drive
    PSU: 600 Watt Ultra power supply

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 330 with (4) 5.25" bays, (2) 3.5" external bays, (5) internal 3.5" bays, 7 expansion slots, 2 front USB ports, 2 front audio ports, (2) 120mm Fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently upgraded the RAM to:
    Patriot Extreme 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 PC2 6400 EPP 4 GB

but only see 3GB available right now and haven't been able to get the previously installed RAM to work with the Patriots so I took them out for now.

I do a lot of Photoshop work and am running into the "not enough scratch memory available" issue. My bad, I've partitioned the current HD and there's not a lot of room left which is why I'm looking for a nice big fast SATA II HD. My thoughts were to go with something in the 750 range.

Any suggestions/ideas?

2. ThinkBachs

ThinkBachs Private E-2

For such an "impressive" website, I expected more than 22 views and no response by now. don't bother replying to this thread, I can see that my time has been wasted on what has reveled itself to be a pathetic forum. Off to where the real geeks hang out... :wave

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

4. ThinkBachs

ThinkBachs Private E-2

And there's the parsley to finish off the plate... Actually, "I agree" would have been more appropriate.

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

just in case your still looking for an answer, or for anyone else that may land in this thread while searching...

The 32-bit version of Windows XP will only show 3GB (or 3.5? ) for installed memory... 64-bit Xp and Windows Vista will properly display your memory capacity over the 3gb limit.

As for the hard drive... I myself don't like hard drives with large capacities, over about 250Gb ( I have 2 of the seagate barricudas like yours) because, if one were to fail and there was 500gb or even 750gb of info on there, it would be lost (or hard to recover, as in my case of losing 200gb, but thats another story) .
    IMO, less is better, like say having three 250gb drives, rather than one 750gb drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds