Looking for info on non-standard floppy drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by breadbin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. breadbin

breadbin Private E-2

hiya, a friend has an embroidery machine with a floppy drive on it and it has broken, i thought i'd be able to just put a new drive in it but the connector has maybe half as much pins and includes the power too - so only one connector. its for a tajima emb machine from the early 90's and not available anymore. any suggestions?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Perhaps contact them http://www.tajima.com/
    and see if they still sell parts. Even though the machine is from the early 90's, maybe they still used those type of floppy drives for quite a few years.

3. breadbin

breadbin Private E-2

He's tried them but they don't do them anymore. I think they are trying to use usb drives and stuff like that. He's trying a cable connection directly from computer. Thanks though

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Some of the old 286 and 386 machines had floppy drives that had only one cable which included power as well as data.
    They were often proprietary to the machine. i.e. IBM's wouldn't work in anything but another IBM machine etc.
    I haven't seen a machine that used them in twenty years and have no idea whether anyone still has them.
    You might check on eBay, but as I said a lot of these would only work in a machine made by the same manufacturer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds