Looking for MD5 tracking program

Discussion in 'Software' started by BlueStar50, Jul 8, 2004.

1. BlueStar50

BlueStar50 Private E-2

Is there a program that will keep track of MD5 hashes of all the executable files on your computer so you can check when they have changed?

2. BlueStar50

BlueStar50 Private E-2

Don't bother with a reply, I more than likely won't be back.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

sorry to hear that.. Totally missed this thread. Interesting task you have there, I never would have thought of doing something like that. Might be a project that I'd keep in mind doing for fun.

4. BlueStar50

BlueStar50 Private E-2

Back to see if a post I made helped someone, still unknown though.
    Thanks for the thought Kodo, I still might drop in from time to time but mainly after I pin down my port problem.
    Anyway Google turned up a gold mind on this and other computer stuff (link at bottom of page) at:
    http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/DOS/MD5progs.html
    Might make an interesting read anyway :eek: :).

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

The only way I know of to do that kind of thing would be pretty ghetto. Use a batch file to construct a list of files, and then run an md5 utility on each of those files.

I agree with kodo that it would make for a fun and interesting project if you're at all into programming, although you might consider using CRC32 (a 32-bit algorithm) instead of MD5 (64 or 128 bit) due to speed considerations. MD5 is more secure, but for a real-time checker it doesn't seem realistic. Maybe for a daily scheduled scan.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds