Looking For Network Monitoring Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by souredspirit, Jun 16, 2016.

1. souredspirit

souredspirit Private First Class

I posted this same post a while back but the only result someone gave was not exactly what I was looking for.

Specifically I am looking for a software only solution, that will tell me which devices are using bandwidth on the home network and how much of the bandwidth per device. Something simple to use, I'm pretty tech savvy, but this is really just going to be for rooting out existing problems.

This is a relatively new problem, but we have a lot of devices and I am trying to determine if this is the result of bandwidth reservations being made by the router for all of these devices, or if it is specific behavior by a certain device, or if it is user created i.e. downloading/uploading/streaming etc.

What I am looking for is an interface that does NOT need to be installed per device, and will recognize devices that are not pc's (i.e wireless console connections, smart phones, tablets, etc) and be able to give me that information as well. It doesnt need to know exactly what it is (though that would be helpful), it just needs to see EVERYTHING that is connected, and tell me how much bandwidth it is using.

Our home network is encrypted and our only nearby neighbor is a 70 yr old country boy who I had to help fix his "broken" computer by turning the monitor on for him (not even joking here), so I know its not the neighbors bumbing off our WiFi.

Thanks in advance
    Kyle

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

By definition, in a home network, only the router could provide such information, but it would have to be a rather more sophisticated router than those usually provided for home use. Otherwise I think you would have to run a server version of Windows to be able to analyse network traffic. Maybe any network administrators here could advise.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. souredspirit

souredspirit Private First Class

Thank you so much guys, I had a feeling the data would be from the router only as nothing else passes through my computer except my own usage data, I was hoping maybe there would be software that interfaced with the router to acquire that data, but i guess the router would have to log/store that data in order for it to do so, unless i was using the software to constantly monitor, which is not necessary.

5. bennywhelsh

bennywhelsh Private E-2

Hi souredspirit

Does your router the ability to be monitored via SNMP?
    If so, you can use a monitoring tool to extract this information from traffic interfaces. If this option is not valid, you can use netflow monitoring. Routers and switches that support NetFlow can collect IP traffic statistics on all interfaces where NetFlow is enabled, and later export those statistics as NetFlow records toward at least one NetFlow collector - typically a server that does the actual traffic analysis. If your router does not support netflow, you can extract this information with nfcapd daemon.
    I use Pandora FMS to monitor my network through SNMP and Netflow and it has great documentation to make it work properly.
    Network Monitoring
    Netflow monitoring
    There are many other tools to bring this information, which can use the one that suits you.

I hope it has been helpful
    Best regards

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds