looking for recommendation of anti-malware programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by debodun, Jul 21, 2012.

1. debodun

debodun Private E-2

I already have Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes. On my old computer I had AdAware and SpyBot, but the tech from whom I bought my current system didn't recommend having them. I am looking for FREE programs that are easy to install and run. Are there any other good (and free) anti-malware programs, or is what I have enough? (recently MalwareBytes picked up PUP.BundleInstaller.OI on my system, but it wasn't detected with a MSE scan).

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I run Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SuperAntiSpyware.
    All free, all here, all easy to use.

This assumes you're running an anti-virus program as well...

No doubt there are other fine programs to run, watch this thread for recommendations...

3. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Might have a read of chaslang's How to Protect yourself from malware.

|MG| SpyBot-Search & Destroy has it's uses but it isn't as effective or as useful as it once was. It's immunization feature includes Opera, which is the main reason I keep SpyBot updated or installed. If you do use Spybot it would probably be a good idea to not use the tea timer option.

|MG| SUPERAntiSpyware Free is good to have on hand for on-demand scans. Remember to keep it updated, check at least once a day.

I realize you're looking for free but the one time(not a yearly subscription) purchase price for the pro version of |MG| Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is worth it as it provides effective real-time protection and auto updates, where as the free version is an on demand scanner only. The free version does include the "File Assassin" which can come in handy. The pro version is a good compliment to an anti-virus.

|MG| SpywareBlaster should be included as a default install on every windows based machine that has access to the internet. Check for updates at least once every 7-10 days.

While it isn't an anti-malware tool as such, it would be a good idea to have one of these versions of CCleaner:

|MG| CCleaner Slim
    |MG| CCleaner Standard
    |MG| CCleaner Portable

Just to keep the accumulation of garbage under control.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I have about all of those mentioned, SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Malwarebytes Pro and Avast, and previously also SuperAntispyware.

When attempting to uninstall SuperAntispyware before installing an update, I had a lot of trouble, although I don't remember
    now exactly what it was.
    It was so difficult getting SuperAntispyware removed that I decided not to install the update.

5. debodun

debodun Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Where I bought my current computer, the tech said any anti-malwae but MalwareBytes would conflict with MSSE. Is he full of it? P.S. have Windows 7 Untimate as the OS. I tried Spyware Blaster. Does it have a scan function - I didn't notice one? I haven't tried Super Antispyware yet - it seems some people have trouble with it.

6. debodun

debodun Private E-2

Well, SuperAnti Spyware crashed my computer. It just froze and wouldn't respond. I had to pull teh plug to re-boot. Any idea why?

7. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

SpywareBlaster does not have a scan feature, it is an immunization application. It does not run in the background like a real-time AV such as MSSE or Avast. With SpywareBlaster you just update it, enable all protection and exit the program.

Did SAS(SUPERAntiSpyware) crash the computer during the install? Or during a scan or an update? Probably a good idea to uninstall SAS for the time being. But, wait if you can, until someone with more recent experience at uninstalling it comes along. To date, I haven't had any problems with SAS and it has been a long time since I've done an uninstall/reinstall of it.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to gloozit:
    I have MBAM and SAS both installed.
    Many times one finds something the got past the other, since they look for different types of action or signatures.
    Both are being used for on demand scanning and have had no conflicts.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I run MBAM and SpywareBlaster together on several computers and never had a problem.

10. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You got good avice from the beginning so kudos to that tech. Spybot and AdAware are now borderline useless. You need a good AV installed and from there I would only consider 1 of 3:

Malwarebytes
    Iobit
    Superantispyware

Anything after that will require niche tools you dont want to use unless you have to. Remember, malware programs are usually needed when you have a problem unless your doing really silly things out there in which case your gooing to have problems eventually.

11. debodun

debodun Private E-2

SuperAntiSpyware crashed when doing a scan. After re-boot, I tried again (holding my breath) and there was no problem. It found 427 items!

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Go into safe mode. Reboot, tap f8 before the Windows Splash screen and choose "safe mode". This disables all drivers, startup items, processes and more and should allow a better scan.

13. akm

akm Sergeant

Have seen on other threads where running (scanning with) MBAM (with 'Protection' enabled) and Superantispyware together is ok, or maybe just one if using paid-for version/s.
    Am currently running both free versions and running (with updates) regular scans manually.
    Any thoughts on if should get paid-for version/s of either ?

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Based on how MBAM worked on a computer I was trying to clean, the person immediately bought the program (this was in 2008). I liked the program so much that I bought a license for my husband's computer to keep him protected. Later I bought two more licenses for a desktop and netbook that I use a lot. I run the free version on the others. I usually tell people if you have a few dollars, spend it on MBAM and use a free av. Most people mistakenly buy av when there are several good, free av programs out there.

15. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm with plodr on this. Between SAS and MBAM, MBAM hands down. Add that to a good free AV and good online habits, you should be just fine...

16. rolle33

rolle33 Private E-2

Well, I don't believe in free AV since they are scanning and removing week viruses.. so I would recommend purchasing Kaspersky or Mcafee..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds