Looking For Teacher...

Discussion in 'Software' started by sneakyalien, Aug 14, 2007.

1. sneakyalien

sneakyalien Private E-2

Hi,

I would like to have someone who can teach me programming (haven't chosen the language yet) and computer security. Maybe even more things about computers overall.

I know nothing about any kind of programming, (maybe i know more than i think)

well... i do know a little about HEX if this is going to help, but I kind a doubt it...

If any of willing have any further questions, then i would be glad to answer.

So is there anyone willing to teach me?:confused

(oh.. and I know that there are definetly schools and stuff for this, but i have always thought that i can learn more from the people who are doing this for themselves or something like that, not for teaching)

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You may try looking at www.w3schools.com, as it has in-depth tutorials on a number of web programming languages.

Recommend that you start with HTML, as this will show you the basics on making a static webpage, then to CSS, as that will show you how to easily style multiple webpages, then move on to scripting languages such as Javascript (browser side), or PHP/ASP (server side scripting)

3. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

What kind of computer security field are you looking at? Protecting from attacks (Denial of Service, phishing, viruses), incident response (attack has occurred, what was hit, how, and by whom), or criminal investigations (this was the bad guy's computer, this is how we can sentence him to jail)?

The first part would be more of a network person, the second would be an network/IT area, and the last would be a criminal justice/IT area.

4. sneakyalien

sneakyalien Private E-2

I am very grateful for your post Mada_Milty (for that address), I'll definetly check it out...

And that security question of noahawk (thanx for replying), then I think i need something that i can prevent attacks and see them coming before they do...
    I don't like to be vournable to anything...

I use Norton Internet Security, but sometimes it feels like it is not enough to keep soemone away...

Anyway the security was a sub-thing that i wanted to learn about...

Main thing is still programming, coding and creating programs...

I'm also trying to get into high school to lern these things, but i might not get in you know... (thats what kept me busy for awhile here so i couldn't relpy)

Thank you for your replys so far...

5. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

If you want to protect a small number of computers, there are plenty of guides for that online; if you're interested in the network protection area, then maybe some kind of network security concentration or certificate would be good. I'm not sure that there are a lot of degrees in network security. Of course, no security person would be fully trained unless they knew how to respond to and recover from attacks.

I only had a class in C++ in high school, but at college I've learned PHP, Java, COBOL, VBA, very little visual C#, and shortly VB. If you decide to apply to colleges for programming, you may want to inquire about what languages are taught in the program, as most of my course descriptions go on and on about a "suitable high level language" (a.k.a. we just switched from C++ to Java and will go to who knows what in a few years, but we don't want to rewrite the description and get it re-approved later.)

Good luck with getting in to high school, just some of the info above may be useful when you're looking for the next place to go ;)

6. sneakyalien

sneakyalien Private E-2

ok.. thak you again for that post...
    I'll keep your suggestions in mind...

7. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

No problem

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds