Looking for Vista Themes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nimda, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nimda

Nimda Private E-2

I'm looking to change the look of my boring Vista system.

I dont want to use windows blinds or anything similar because im on a laptop with only 2GB or RAM so i would like to avoid running something that hogs my resources

any suggestions?

thanks in advance :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

First off you would need to patch the uxtheme.dll file in Vista to allow 3rd party themes to be used, this app I have used in the past to do this automatically for you, rather than the longer winded manual way, WARNING however is that patching system files can go wrong so backup your PC first as its upto you if you go this route, even Window Blinds has caused some users to have to re-install Windows.

http://www.codegazer.com/vistaglazz/ patching app and do read the FAQ on this app.

then you can get any 3rd party themes from the likes of here and copy them to this location C:\Windows\Resources\Themes then you can access them via right click desktop > Personalize > Theme

3. Nimda

Nimda Private E-2

thanks a bunch,

and thanks for the warning as well, sadly i dont have a way to back-up so i guess im taking a chance here.

Always keep a linux disk handy :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds