Looping install

Discussion in 'Software' started by brandypeppy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Trying to reinstall XP SP2 on a previously badly infected machine, Milw PC. Did the full format, loads files, then shuts down and comes back to the original boot disk window. Did all over again 3 times, same result.
    Anything I should look for or change?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not sure if the SATA HD comes into play with XP SP2. Is your HD SATA? Does anyone know off hand if branypeppy needs to load SATA drivers during install?

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

How do I find out if it is SATA? In the BIOS? :confused

4. sach2

Brand/Model of computer should get it off the web.

If a desktop, you could open it and look at the cable connected to the HD if it is an IDE(wide) cable then it is not SATA.

I'm unsure if SP2 includes SATA drivers. I'll google. When you first put in the XP installation disk at the bottom during the first minute or so does it say something about hitting F6 for SATA/RAID drivers.

EDIT: It looks like you do need SATA drivers fo SP2. Do you have a floppy drive on that computer?

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Thanks for your help Sach but, PROBLEM SOLVED!
    For anybody else, my fix was to remove the install disk after it rebooted to the window giving the choice of repair/install/ or exit to startup. I chose the last, it booted, asked for my disk, and continued to install successfully! Easy enough.

6. sach2

Good to hear you got things working! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds