Loosing Disk Space

Discussion in 'Software' started by hcrawfor, Jun 18, 2009.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

What could be eating up space on my C: drive?

Running VISTA Home Basic with Diskeeper 2008 Defrag
    2GB RAM
    65GB Hard Drive (partitioned to C: & D: drives – 32.5GB each)

To free up space on my C: drive I moved Documents to the D: drive over a year ago. A month ago I compressed the C: drive and gained about 3GB. I ended of with about 9GB (out of 32.5GB) of free space on my C: drive.

Today I only have 5.8GB of free space and it continues to decrease daily. I constantly run CCleaner to remove temporary files. Firefox (my default browser) is set to remove temporary files and History on exit. I delete most emails with large attachments (EX: 3MB+ movie clips), and compact Mail regularly. I don't play video games, have large photo files and haven't downloaded any software in months... except updates of existing software.... ie: IE, FIREFOX, Adobe, OpenOffice, Anti-Virus... etc.

The computer runs fine. Do you have any idea what's eating up my free space on a regular basis.

Thanks

2. hcrawfor

Thanks. I'll check that out later today. This was an inexpensive laptop I purchased (Acer5315-2153) 18 months ago and it has served me well. I believe the partitions were already pre-set. I agree, 65GB is small in todays standards, but fortunately I don't do much downloading, and I did increase RAM form 1GB to 2GB shortly after my purchase.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Acers, sensibly imo, do come with a preconfigured data partition, but it might be possible in your case to use Vista's disk management to make better use of the limited space you do have. If you are happy to give up some of the space on your D partition then if you right click Computer and click Manage and then Disk Management, you can right click your D drive and click Shrink Volume. If that works you can then follow the same procedure to expand your C drive.

Be aware though that this might not work at all, or might only work to a limited extent, because some of Vista's own stuff isn't moveable without the help of third party software, but it is definitely worth trying.

As always, be sure to back up your important stuff before doing this sort of thing.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you have any Symantec/Norton programs installed?

5. hcrawfor

No Symantec/Norton programs installed. I use AVG Free.

6. hcrawfor

I was able to shrink the D: drive. It now reflects a size of 20GB with 10GB Free.... and 11GB 'unallocated.' However, the extend option on the C: drive was grayed out (disabled).

7. hcrawfor

Ended up using free third party software (EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition) to gain space. Thanks

8. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Private First Class

On a side note, I use a handy program called Sequoiaview that can help you visualize what is actually occupying hard drive space.

It might help you pinpoint if something on your machine has created a really huge log file or something similar.

http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview//

65Gb is pretty small on today's standards, but, with some external storage as DomLuc suggested you should be fine
    I've got a my old 40Gb laptop triple booting between XP Pro, Windows 7 and Arch Linux. Its a tight squeeze, but everything fits OK giving me about 10Gb of personal storage space on board.
    All my music and important stuff lives on my HTPC with a Samba server running on the backend.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds