loosing disk / system space

Discussion in 'Software' started by overdue, Jul 18, 2004.

1. overdue

overdue Private E-2

My machine seems to be filling up faster than I can delete files! Twice in the last month I have dumped 50 to 60 megs worth of files, only to have messages pop on to the screen to the effect that I have run out of disk space and a multitude of other quirky performance problems. The problem is getting to the point where I’m having a difficult time staying connected so if I all of a sudden do not reply… that’s why!

I'm new to the forum so if I screw up, let me know.

More info available if requested.

--------[ AIDA32 (c) 1995-2004 Tamas Miklos ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version AIDA32 v3.93
    Author tamas.miklos@aida32.hu
    Homepage http://www.aida32.hu
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer W98SYSREC (System Recovery)
    Generator user
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998 (Win98 Retail)
    Date 2004-07-18
    Time 09:00

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
    OS Service Pack None
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000 (IE 6.0 - Windows XP)
    Computer Name W98SYSREC (System Recovery)
    User Name user

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium, 133 MHz
    Motherboard Name Amptron PM-8600A / PCPartner MB-586 VX7 / PCChips M537
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C580 Apollo VPX
    System Memory 64 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (03/26/97)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter RAGE IIC PCI (English)
    3D Accelerator ATI 3D-Rage IIC
    Monitor (Unknown Monitor)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Avance Logic ALS4000 Audio Device

Storage:
    Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
    Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
    Optical Drive LITEON CD-ROM LTN483L (48x CD-ROM)

Partitions:
    C: (FAT) 2044 MB (183 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:
    Primary IP Address 24.69.125.211
    Primary MAC Address 00-04-E2-20-5C-09
    Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
    Network Adapter SMC1211 Series NDIS 4.0 driver (24.69.125.211)

Peripherals:
    Printer NEC Pinwriter P5200

Problems & Suggestions:
    Problem Disk free space is only 9% on drive C:.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Well, using CCleaner, you can free space routinely. Also, you can set your browser to allow less temporary files to be saved. Internet Options, Temporary Internet File Options, slide the bar to the left for using less space.

I guess I would do more, but your running a 2 gig hard drive. Going for a larger, used hard drive would be a better idea if the above does not work. We could also modify your swap file (memory writes to your hard drive when you run out) since with only 64 megs, this is also a problem for you if nothing else works, but a 4,6 or 8 gig hard drive would go a long way. It would also automatically create a larger swap file and may help performance.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

sadly like the major said above you're looking like you now need a larger hard drive, once windows gets below 200MB of free space you will have popup warnings to low memory and will experience the quirky errors you are getting.

as well as what the major said in relation to intenet temp files and reducing the folders storage limit, I would also be looking at what applications startup and reside in your system tray... some of these may not be necassary to have start until you actually need them.

to check click Start > Run and type msconfig > ok/enter > click Startups and look at whats in there... post the items and we can give you a clue as to whats maybe not necessary.

but in the end you are going to need a larger hard drive... you can install this as a master or slave and still use your old HD as well.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Overdue, thanks for the PM. I can't find my reply to your original post for some strange reason but as the earlier replies to this post say, you need a bigger hard drive and more RAM for best results. Will try and track down my original reply. Must be in another thread but searching on "overdue" did not find it. I will search on my name and should locate it that way. Halo and the Major give good advice. Look for a bigger drive and RAM. Bazza

====

5. overdue

overdue Private E-2

Thanks All for the replies

I have and do run CCleaner...it helps

The systray has...as far as I can tell; this stuff running
    (I have been mucking about in there so I might have shut something off???)

SpybotSD TeaTimer Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    AtiCwd32 Registry (Machine Run) Aticwd32.exe
    AVG_CC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
    freesurfer Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\FREE SURFER\fs20.exe
    WinTools Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
    WinTools Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Common Files\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

I was going to purchase a new 6 gig drive but was told it wouldn’t work on my old system
    Where would I look for a used one?

6. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

That's some spyware ya got there friend. Here's how to remove it:

REMOVED. Note the Spyware section both HERE and in main page downloads. Geez!

A 6GB drive should work on your system. Just make sure you say yes to 'large disk support' when you run fdisk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2004
  7. bigbazza

Overdue, check at your local PC shop/s. They might have secondhand drives. Make sure what is the maximum size drive that your BIOS/OS will allow. Maybe fitting 2 drives is a simple solution.

Also do a search for index.dat files. CrapCleaner should clean these out every time you use it. Doesn't always work on my W98SE. I delete index.dat with a manual batch file in W98SE. Works a treat. Bazza

===

8. DavidGP

I would do like Bazza suggests in using 2 HDs first for OS and software and second larger one for downloads and other items...

so much so thats what my setup is like.... 2 Drives in Raid0 for OS and software and 3rd and 4th hds for downloads and backups etc etc

if you can give us some info on your motherboard we maybe able to find out what th emax hd size you can use is, use this to find motherboard name and version http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

9. bigbazza

Maybe using RAID array on a P133/2gig/W98/64mb system is a bit ambitious for this system. :D;) Second drive is a hell of lot easier. Thanks for the mobo link.:) Bazza

===

10. DavidGP

well yes Raid would be over the top in that case I was just only trying to outline what way I went.... but yes the second drive would be a great solution and its one I always incorporate in any PC I build.

11. overdue

overdue Private E-2

Does this work?

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium, 133 MHz
    Motherboard Name Amptron PM-8600A / PCPartner MB-586 VX7 / PCChips M537
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C580 Apollo VPX
    System Memory 64 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (03/26/97)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Alright, you guys are now confusing the guy. Hes not loading RAID on a 133, odds are his board will not support it. Frankly you have 2 choices, period :)

Add a second hard drive, store files there. Buy a larger drive, copy everything over and be happy. We have drive copying utilities in our backup section and often one comes with a drive and instructions how to use it. An older machine like that may not recognize a drive over 8 gigs, look for a BIOS update or get a used drive.

13. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

MA, I'd just like to offer a word of explanation:

WinTools is a particularly persistent critter that Adaware and Spybot will not remove permanently. Chaslang, I and others have referred users to the link I posted for manual removal instructions on more than one occasion only because we know it to work.

No disrespect intended :)

Tried to PM you with this but was unable to.

14. overdue

overdue Private E-2

Thanks for all the replies

I’m getting a little overwhelmed and I think I did some damage trying to remove wintools. Now I can only get 16 bit color and my Control Panel takes about 2 minutes to load… on the bright side though I have about 75% system resources… that’s the best ever!

I’m going to back up my really important files and get back to you. I’ll have to figure out how to transfer the files on this machine to my old IBM Think Pad (don’t want to use floppies) so it may take a while as “I” have very slow processor…if ya know what I mean :)

I’ll look for a new used drive in the local shops while I’m at it.

15. bigbazza

overdue, do a google search on "laplink"

Check out http://www.oncomp.com/jan02-1.htm

for background info. I haven't used it since v5 and they are up to 11.5 now. Beware latest are for XP. Some only use USB. You probably need a version that transfers through parallel (faster than serial) because of the specs of your machines. Beware also, you must get a version that will handle long file names. Early versions only copied the old 8.3 DOS type file naming. Probably a version around 5, 6, 7 or 7.5 would do the job. You might even get a free download or buy a copy on ebay. Make sure it will handle the long file names, though. Make sure if you buy an old copy, that it comes with parallel and serial cables. If you have USB on both PC's go with USB.

bazza

16. WandaR

WandaR Private E-2

Guys, yes it's me again, I downloaded this Everest Home edition, and it says I'm out of physical memory, What do I need to do ? I'm probably not even in the right place for this, so ...direct me !

Wanda

Field Value
    Physical Memory
    Total 127 MB
    Used 118 MB
    Free 9 MB
    Utilization 93 %

Swap Space
    Total 1920 MB
    Used 171 MB
    Free 1748 MB
    Utilization 9 %

Virtual Memory
    Total 2047 MB
    Used 290 MB
    Free 1757 MB
    Utilization 14 %

Problems & Suggestions
    Suggestion Install more system memory to improve applications performance.

17. WandaR

WandaR Private E-2

Guys, I went here , or tried to ; Start > Run and type msconfig > ok/enter > click Startups , and my computer says there is no such thing !! (I have Win Me )

Wanda

18. bigbazza

Wanda. Start-->Run. Type in msconfig <enter> Do you mean click on Startups or Startup? There should be a Startup tab.

If ME doesn't have msconfig, try

Starter from CodeStuff http://codestuff.netfirms.com/news.shtml

I use on W98SE. Check to see if it works for ME, though, before trying it. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds