Lose Internet Connect on Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dkeat, Apr 22, 2007.

1. dkeat

dkeat Private E-2

Hi

Wonder if anyone out there could give me a tip here?

I am running Vista Home Premium.

Sometimes for no apparent reason I lose my Internet Access. The computer, however, continues to have a good connection with my internal wireless network. My other computer has a constant connection, so it is not an ISP issue. It is online while the Vista computer goes off.

I have tried the various Vista wizards to detect the problem. They report that it may have something to do with an inability to connect with the DNS server.

The handling that works (until the next time) is to power down the wireless router and then power it back up. That reestablishes the Internet connection.

The connection is sometimes up for days and then inexplicably goes down again. The remedy is always the same.

Would really appreciate it if anyone out there has experience with this.

Many thanks.

Dave

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks!

Don't have much help for your problem. You might check with the company that makes your router and see if there is a firmware update for it.

E

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Some Routers have problem with Vista, check the Router's support for info.

4. Bojinx

Bojinx Private E-2

I had a problem with my wireless network, I realized that my cordless phone (not a cell phone) and internet ran on the same frequency. When someone was one the phone my internet would cut out. I was able to fix this problem when I bought a new wireless phone that ran on a higher frequency.

I hope this helps

5. dkeat

dkeat Private E-2

Thanks for the replys, folks. I think I handled the problem through sheer good fortune. I decided to delete the network connection and did so. Then I went about creating a connection once again with the existing wireless network. As soon as I reentered the WEP code my Internet came back up and has been up since. Apparently a bit or a byte got scrunched somewhere and was causing the trouble.

Thanks again.

Dave

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Glad you got it fixed!

E

7. dkeat

dkeat Private E-2

Me2! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds