losing internet connection when dowloading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dread_fortythree, Sep 20, 2005.

1. dread_fortythree

dread_fortythree Private E-2

When browsing the internet, I never have connection problems, but when I try to download music, games, etc., I frequently lose my connection(sometimes 3 or more times during a single song dowload). I have my firewalls turned off. I have a linksys model # BEFSR41 router, DSL connection, dell dimension desktop w/ xp home edition, Pentium 4A, 509 mb(ddr sdram). I have unplugged the router for 15 min., plugged it back in, and will be connected right away, but when I attempt to dowload again...poof! Not super-savy with computers so I hope I've given the correct info. ISP is a local company called Northern Valley Communications and they have been of no help. The connection speed always stays at 100 mbps. Thanks for the help!

2. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

Connect directly to the modem and see if you experience the same issue. If you don't, update the firmware on the router and see what happens. If you do, contact your ISP again. They may be more willing to help if they know that you're connected directly to the modem and still experiencing the issue. There may also be a firmware update for your modem, which they will be able to tell you, provided you rent or purchased it from them. Your modem may also be faulty, or could have trouble keeping an IP address.

Also, is there more than one PC that experiences this?

3. DarylBahr

DarylBahr Private E-2

I too have Northern Valley Communications and have nothing but problems with them.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

This will be the ethernet connection between your modem and your pc, not the connection between the modem and your ISP.

When the connection is lost what happens to the lights on the modem?

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds