Losing volume information

Discussion in 'Software' started by timpollard, Mar 29, 2005.

1. timpollard

timpollard Private E-2

Hi - I'm having a recurring problem losing the volume information from my second hard drive (both are NTFS SATA, running XP Pro) - it keeps disappearing. With no reason or warning the 'Disc' icon has gone from Explorer, replaced with a generic 'Windows' icon which doesn't allow me to access the data on the disc, instead it opens a program instead (a DVD viewer). I can still accesss the info on the disc the long way round, but it's very annoying.

Does anyone know how I can return the 'proper' icon (and its function) without formatting the disc, as I've had to do before?

Thanks!

2. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

Sounds like your drive is loosing it's connection. SATA drive connectors are very sensitive compare to IDE's. First start with that, make your cable is tightly connected.

3. timpollard

timpollard Private E-2

Many thanks for the reply, I've checked the connection and it seems very sturdy, but just to make sure I've changed the SATA cable too.

Would a loose cable mean just the Volume Information disappeared though? As I said I can still access the drive (and its info and programs), just not through the 'normal'' Explorer: Start > My Computer > Hard Disk Drives method - left clicking on the drive letter (in this case 'E:') opens up one of my DVD viewing programs. Right clicking on E: then clicking on 'Explore' allows me full access though...

4. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

Oh,... I understand now, give a bit to think about it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds