Losing Window Media Files .

Discussion in 'Software' started by gey34, Apr 10, 2005.

1. gey34

gey34 Private E-2

Here's a tough question . I have Windows Media Player 10 I use these decives more than any for all my cd ripping . In the last 2 day now I have noticed that I have to go back to My Downloads Files and replay my files . For some ODD reason my files are not staying in one place . And yes I did try to find this topic on the threads and didn't come along of any that even came close . Can any one figure these out ? .

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I don't quite understand what you are saying.

3. gey34

gey34 Private E-2

Ok , Let me see if I can brake these down for every one in simple trems . When you down load Music or a MP3 ,Video ect . It goes to your My Down Load Files . We all know that part . In Windows Media Player 10 . When I frist
    down loaded it it worked fine . It kept all of my files . Now it's starting to lose
    those files . Meaning I have to rescan my C:\ My Down Loads \ Files . So I can see the files in windows media player 10 again . It all started 3 days go . Why is it doing these . I should not have to rescan my C: \ drive for my music files . The simple way I have found is to highlight all music files and right click and then left click on play all . Any ways it's really buggie . All I wont is to open windows media player 10 up and play my files . Once again have a good day .

4. Rick_Lincoln

Rick_Lincoln Private E-2

Hi!! I think I get what you are saying.....
    If you double click a music file from wherever then your computer knows what to use to play it and it is likely that MP10 is set to automatically add all played music to your music library. However, if you have not told MP10 to monitor your downloads folder for new files then it wont, and so you cant find a file from your downloads folder in your library until you have already played it.
    To avoid multiple files etc. I only allow MP10 to monitor "My music" for files. I always copy any files from my shared folder or my downloads folder into my music. Then, the next time I start MP10, it finds them all.
    You can either tell MP10 to monitor your downloads folder for new files or move new files to my music.
    Its worth remembering also that the music library in MP is effectively a list of "shortcuts" and if you move a music file after it has been added to your library then the link will be "broken" and even if the music file still exists it will not play from the original entry. It really annoys me 'cos if, like me, you move music round a lot from folder to folder, you can quickly end up with 5 or 6 entries in your music library for the same song, and only one will actually work!! This is why I only put "My music" files into the library.

hope this is vaguely understandable, fairly accurate, and a bit helpful??? Others will know more I am sure!

Rick

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I hope I understand you now, but anyway here goes!

In Tools, Options, then Player tab, check the box "Add music files to library when played".

Also, in the Library tab, you can select which folder/s that Media Player will monitor.

There quite a few settings there if you look in all the different tabs.

Good luck, hope that is what you were after.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds