Loss of Mouse and Keyboard, and hang on MUP.SYS

Discussion in 'Software' started by TomLS, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TomLS

TomLS Private E-2

A few days ago I was working on my laptop and I went away for a bite, and when I came back to it the touchpad and keyboard were completely un-responsive.
    So I re-booted thinking it was just hung up, and again zilch. Can't log in, can't do anything.

So I tried running in safe mode, where it hangs on Mup.sys. If I leave it for hours (overnight so I don't know just how long) it will boot but nothing seems amiss.

I've run recovery console and replaced the keyboard and mouse drivers (mouclass.sys, kbdclass.sys, i8042prt.sys) with the ones off the XP CD (running SP2). I also replaced Mup.sys as I thought this was corrupted.

Rebooted and it was just the same, even hanging on Mup.sys to get to safe mode.

*Queue "F*** this" Mode*

I took out the HDD, put it in an external drive carrier and copied my files over to another external HDD, then reinstalled the system to "as new" status, including a full format of the C: drive.
    All was hunky dorey (except for having to reinstall all my fudging programs!) for about 2 days. Then I come in to my laptop (it's on pretty much 24/7) and nothing. Zilch, zip, nada.

So now I've just tried fixing the MBR, the boot sector, disabling all the drivers, rebooting (this time I don't even get a stationary pointer like before, just the welcome screen).
    Then I replaced and re-enabled the drivers, rebooted and it's still screwed.

Any ideas people, before I chuck $2000 laptop out of my window!!!

2. TomLS

TomLS Private E-2

Anyone?

I'm going nuts with this thing. Could it be hardware? software?
    A corrupted registry entry to do with Mup.sys is something I've read elsewhere, but the fix mentioned didnt' help me and I've managed to run 'Registry Booster' to fix and defrag the mempory but it didn't help.

Cheers
    Tom.

3. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

4. TomLS

TomLS Private E-2

Hmm, that link states:
    "Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically."
    I've noticed that when I leave my laptop on and close the screen the keyboard and touchpad get HOT, like really hot so it's uncomfortable to touch. Actually the main problem with the laptop is how hot it is as it fries ram unless I use a cooler pad under it.
    So I'm thinking the heat damaged the circuitry in the keyboard/mouse and hence it doesn't function properly, and it's causing mup to hang.
    So I'm thinking - how do I get to the keyboard connections inside the laptop? If I unplug them it might stop the conflict. Then use an external keyboard/mouse?
    I've had the processor/RAM cover off and the HDD cover but I can't see any plugs.
    It's an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi.

Cheers for teh info so far!

5. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I'm concerned about it being very hot.
    Many laptop get quite warm, but if it is really hot then you may have a serious problem. (I have one that doesn't even get very warm. It's been running pretty much 24/7 for the last 5 or 6 years and it still doesn't get hot)
    Can you hear/feel any fan running?

6. TomLS

TomLS Private E-2

Yep, the fan kicks in frequently, but it seems to have a very high thermostat temperature as the top right of the keyboard where the processor heatsink and m'board heatsink are piped to the fan, is always pretty hot. I discovered that the grille directly below the fan (the inlet) was covered by a plastic shield by the manufacturer. I thought this very inefficient and so removed it. However this meant that there was no air flowing from the front of the base, therefore no airflow over the RAM which had fried before... twice fixed by acer*. So I covered the grille again so maintain an airflow over the whole board. I even experimented with additional extraction fans over the fan outlet to drop the case temperature (measured with internal probe), but it was still pushing out a constant 60degC (140F) airflow.
    Very poorly designed laptop but I want to save it!

*(with truly abysmal customer service it has to be said. We even filed a lawsuit against them for atrocious customer service but it got too expensive).

7. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Sounds like it is getting WAY too hot.
    You say you are letting it run 24/7?
    I'd reconsider doing that.

I can't imagine why any company would design a computer with a cooling vent and then block it.

I hate to admit it but I think this problem is beyond me.
    Hopefully someone else here at MG will come up with something for you.
    I'll keep watching this thread and add anything that comes to me that might be helpful.

As far as MUP.SYS is concerned, I really don't think that is what is hanging.
    My guess is that that is actually the last file that is initializing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds