Loss of some administration privileges?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Teapot, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Teapot

Teapot Private E-2

I don't know what happened, but now my computer is telling me that I can't look at the calendar in the task bar because I don't have the proper system privileges. If I had really lost my admin capabilities, wouldn't I be unable to download things too? Because I can still do that, in Firefox at least-- I haven't tried IE, but I don't know if that would make a difference. I only have two user accounts on here-- my admin, and another guest and I'm positive I'm on the admin one right now.

So, a.) what happened? and b.) what can I do about it?

Thanks!!

2. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

You can check to see if you have administrator privilages in the Control Panel or in the command prompt you can type: net user (your user name here)

Down where it says "Local Group Membership", it will tell you if you are an Administrator, User, Guest, Debugger User, etc.... If you are a user (print these directions if you can't remember them),

1)start your computer in Safe Mode (done by pressing F8/F2, varies on different systems, when booting DIRECTLY AFTER you see your BIOS information)
    2)Log in as Administrator or Admin (this also varies on different systems) NOTE: By default, there is no password to these accounts
    3)Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt
    4)Type the following script: net user (your user name) It may or may not find it, I can't remember if the command prompt sees accounts that are members of the Users group in Safe Mode.
    5)If it does, type in the command prompt: net localgroup (your username) administrators /add
    6)If it is not found, create a new admin account by typing the following in the command prompt: net user (your desired user name) /add
    7)To add a password type in the following: net user (your new username) (password that you desire)

That should pretty much do it.

3. Teapot

Teapot Private E-2

Under the command prompt it says that I'm an Admin though...could this be spyware just overriding my ability to view the calendar?

4. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

You could make the guest account an administrator one and see if you have administrator privilages there.
    In the command prompt type the following:

net localgroup administrators /add guest

net user guest /active:yes

That should change things for that account to admin even though it says that it is guest.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds