Lost File: helpctr.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by TinmanPhilbert, Dec 2, 2004.

1. TinmanPhilbert

TinmanPhilbert Private E-2

Hi CC's,

I have lost the file 'helpctr.exe'. I have Windows XP, 20GB HD, 256RAM. When I access Start-> Help and Support nothing happens either online or offline. I have tried Jabman's suggestions from 17 March 04 without success. I can locate the file helpctr in C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries but not helpctr.exe.
    I have done a little reading about this problem and 2 possibilities have been raised:
    1. The loss of helpctr.exe is a measure to increase performance of PC
    when tweaking with a tweaking program- I am using Tweakmaster.
    2. MS suggests that when online, accessing helpctr.exe poses a security
    and vulnerability risk. I have remote accessibility disabled on my PC but
    when restoring this, the helpctr.exe help and support still does not
    function.

It is not a major problem not being able to access Help and Support Centre, it's just having a function not intentionally working and not knowing the reason that is a nuisance.

Your further suggestions will be appreciated?
    With Thanks
    TinmanPhilbert

2. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

hmm... helpctr.exe, is that the standard windows help files?

try going to start -- > run -- > and type in 'services.msc' without the quotes.

then look for help and support and set it to automatic, and then enable it, see if that fixes your problem. if it is already set to automatic and the process has already been started, then come back here i'll see if i can think of anything else

3. TinmanPhilbert

Darkhorizon,
    It is a standard Windows XP file.
    Help and Support is set to automatic already.
    Over to you again,
    TIA
    Tinman

4. darkhorizon

5. TinmanPhilbert

Darkhorizon, Hi again (from Australia) and thank you for your continuing suggestions.
    I downloaded the file from the link you provided and got the file 'helpctr', not 'helpctr.exe'.
    Over to you again.
    Tinman

6. darkhorizon

it is helpctr.exe, are you hiding file extensions? go to the control panel and go to folder options, click on the view tab, and uncheck "hide file extensions for known file types"

then view the file, it should be helpctr.exe

7. TinmanPhilbert

I unchecked hide file extensions and sure enough the helpctr file now appears as helpctr.exe. Unfortunately, double clicking on it still won't open it.
    Tinman

8. darkhorizon

well im not sure whats going on, but i found this from a quick google search, just make sure you back up your registry first! if you need more detailed instructions lemme know:

Helpctr.exe not responding - Go to Start/Run and type in: Helpctr.exe.
    For some users this has restored the functionality in the Start Menu.

If the above didn't help:

Check your settings here: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
    Manager\Environment

In the right pane if windir is listed under type as REG_SZ, it needs to be
    changed to REG_EXPAND_SZ, Value Data: C\Windows.

If this is the case:

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
    Manager\Environment

Right click on Environment, then choose Export, name it and save it. Then
    go to the right pane, right click in an empty area and choose New/Expandable
    String Value. Name it windir. Then double click it and under Value data,
    type in: C:\WINDOWS

From there, right click and delete the windir which type was listed as
    REG_SZ then hit refresh (F5).

9. TinmanPhilbert

Darkhorizon,
    I followed those instructions exactly.
    Still my Help and Support centre will NOT function! Short of a format and reinstall, I guess I will have to accept that my help and support centre is snafu.
    I thank you for all your input and expertise and would be happy to close the thread.
    Thanks again
    Tinman

10. darkhorizon

lol, i sorry i couldn't solve it, i tried

but hey, i would trade ya anyday, i disabled my help (in that place where i told you to make sure it was set to automatic), this way when i hit F1 by accident, i dont have to deal with microsoft popups :)

11. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

DarkHorizon if you don't mind I'd like to mention one thing that I noticed that could be the cause of all this (since you went thru everything else I could think of) .

helpctr.exe file would always be replaced, even if deleted. The only way this problem might have occured is if the helpctr.exe file (750KB) located at C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries somehow got deleted, when running Windows in 'normal mode' it wouldn't normally happen, if the file was indeed never delete then there must have been some sort of a registry corruption.

One other registry point I'd suggest you check is:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE <<<after you click on HELPCTR.EXE on the left hand side you will see its default StringValue on the left, what is the location it is looking at and also what file is it looking for?
    The correct path and file name should be:
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HELPCTR.EXE

Check this as well and see if it helped.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds