Lost MTP support in Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I installed Service Pack 1 on my Vista computer about a month or so ago. Then I sent the computer away to be repaired which is why I didn't notice the problem until now: My MTP devices are no longer working. They show up in Device Manager under "other devices", labeled correctly and with a yellow exclamation mark by their name.

I am unable to sync with them in any application, and I can't open and browse them either. After some digging I have discovered that the culprit is the file wpdmtp.inf or rather, its absence. It's not on my computer. I have a file called wpdmtphw.inf but not the driver file that Vista searches for and fails to find.

I did not have this problem before I installed Service Pack 1. Do I need to uninstall it, or is there a less drastic method I have overlooked? I have already tried this hotfix, and it did not help.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You may have gotten lucky. I just found this hidden in my bag of tricks.LOL

In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.
    Click Next,
    Choose, Install the hardware that I manually select. Click Next
    In the Hardware Types box, choose show all devices.Click Next
    Choose (Standard MTP-Compliant Devices) on the left and then the devices you are missing on the right.
    If that doesn’t work, repeat all the steps, and choose have disc (instead of the step above), to install them from your Vista disc.

Attached Files:

• MTP.jpg
      MTP.jpg
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Actually, there are two entries on the left for MTP devices. You may have to go through both.

4. Mimsy

I only saw one entry for MTP devices, and it gave me the same error as before: Vista says no drivers were found and installed. Weird...

My Vista disc is in one of the boxes I have not yet unpacked since the move... I guess I will go dig. :)

5. Mimsy

The file is not on the Vista disc! :confused I noticed as I looked closer at it that it's a recovery disc, not an actual OS installation disc, that might be why... still. It's a native Vista driver, how come it's not there?

Now what do I do...? :(

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but sounds like it will: (Is Vista compatible)
    Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit
    Introduces the new Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which enables you to manage content on any portable device with storage. MTP was first shipped as part of the Windows Media Device Manager 10 SDK. This porting kit includes the complete MTP specification, design documentation, sample source code, software to implement a PC-based MTP simulator, and MTP test tools. The latest version of the MTP Porting Kit includes thoroughly updated ANSI C source code as well as a redistributable MTP driver for Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows 2000 operating systems. This driver is implemented as a Windows Media Device Manager Service Provider and supports device access through Windows Media Player 9 Series and other device applications that work on the Windows Media Format 9 Series Software Development Kit (SDK).

7. Mimsy

That might work... will try that. Meanwhile, what is the validation tool it wants me to download and run? That has never come up before.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It just makes sure you have a valid copy of Windows, before it will give you the download of the MTP stuff.
    You may even have a little trouble getting to the download page during validation. Just go at it until it does validate you. (Maybe use IE to do the validation and download?)

I am heading out camping in a few, so will be gone for about 3 days. Good luck! ;)

9. Mimsy

No maybes here... the download link absolutely does not work in any other browser than IE. I have installed the MTP Porting kit now, and rebooted, but it has made absolutely no difference whatsoever. MTP support remains gone from my computer.

To say that I am frustrated and unhappy would be the understatement of the year. Practically all my music is on this computer and I have absolutely no way of getting it to my player until that one file is restored.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Stopped back home for a short bit, so I'll ask you for a bit more info.
    This is not my normal forte, so I will have to do some research, but I will get on it as soon as I can tomorrow, Mims.

Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Could you also post a screen shot, of your MTP drivers in Device manager?

11. Mimsy

Since you didn't specify which hardware and drivers, you get a full Everest hardware report. It became too big to attach, so I zipped it and attached the archive.

And I have no MTP driver, not that I could find anyway. When I plug in the player it does show up, under Other Devices and with the yellow exclamation mark, but there is no driver info to be had. Is there anything else that might help, that I should screenshot instead?

(I really appreciate the help, btw. This is an extremely frustrating situation that has made me very sad. So thanks again for taking the time. :) )

Attached Files:

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hi Mimsy! :wave
    Muskie asked me to look in on this thread to see if I could offer some assistance. So, I did find a couple things that may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939211/en-us
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8B-8E0E-4B15-99A1-0D7B9FF3B795&displaylang=en
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a6-ca7f-4e60-b88c-c5fce88f3eea&displaylang=en (I think this is for WinXP only, but they may have a Vista version, or it may work with Vista)
    I think the first link I provided is your best bet. I hope it works for you!!!
    Keep us posted!

13. Mimsy

Sweet... thanks, both of you! :)

I will look into it tomorrow night when I am less exhausted, and report back with any and all results.

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I may be going down the wrong road, but what is the make and model number of the player you're plugging in?
    Did it come with an install disc?
    And, if you reinstall the drivers from that disc, is your problem solved?

15. Mimsy

Creative Zen Touch, bought used, so no disc. No driver available on Creative's website. This would aggravate me less if the player didn't use to work without any issues at all. Grrrr.

Back shortly with progress reports on dlb's links.

16. Mimsy

"This update does not apply to your system."

I'm almost impressed by my problem's resilience.

So I have a question for you. After lots of googling for information about this issue, I found a website that promises free downloads of .inf files. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can find the needed file there, but nervous about downloading anything from an untrusted website. I also have doubts about the legality of it... what are your thoughts on possibly taking that path?

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Zen Touch download page

I'm not sure which download you would prefer. A couple seem to be able to help in transferring files between your PC and your player, but some will also be bloated.

Edit: I've found that some of those sites offering .inf's, don't always have them labelled correctly. You may download ABC.inf and actually get XYZ.inf.

18. Mimsy

I tried some of those utilities... sadly, they do not work well under Vista. In fact, I think they may hate WMP 11 passionately. At least they fought it a lot.

And that's what I am worried about.

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Doesn't WMP have some kind of Sync tool? (Sorry, but I haven't opened WMP in nearly a year)

Is this only MTP problem you're having?

Not sure of the legalities of this but....
    It's a copy of my file.

Attached Files:

20. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

How about this: uninstall SP1, apply the patch from KB939211, then make sure the MTP is working, then re-install SP1.
    Sounds like a plan to me, but it's not my PC ;)

21. Mimsy

muskie:
    No, I have another MTP device that isn't working either. Exact same symptoms.

dlb:
    I've thought about that, but the file I am missing is not listed in the patch file table... or doesn't that matter? :confused

22. Mimsy

Thanks for the file by the way. It is not working so far, but I have only tried a couple of ways to install it. I will try more later when I am not on my way to work.

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Mims, I did a search for the locations of that file.
    It seems I have several instances of it and 56 different instances of files and folders dealing with MTP.
    I don't think that one file is going to get the job done. :(
    I'l look into your problem some more and I know dlb will, too.
    (He's as bad as me, when it comes to a problem like this. Won't let go until it's fixed or there is just no where else to turn.) LOL

24. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I am coming up with the same pages that dlb already gave you. :(
    I did go back into your Everest report and saw something that I should have looked for in the first place.
    Your motherboard info is basically blank. That tells me either you have a totally obscure motherboard, that is not compatible with Everest's data base OR your chipset drivers may have corrupted on you.

Try reinstalling them and see if that helps.
    I'm sorry if it seems like I'm guessing, but this is an issue usually resolved by adding the driver for the particular device that needs files transfered to or from it.
    Of course, if your chipset drivers went bad, then it would be near impossible to add any driver.

25. Mimsy

That's why I love you guys. ;)

Motherboard: P5N32-E SLI Not sure how obscure that is, but I do have a driver disc for it that I can reinstall from. Though they wouldnt' send a full OS disc, Cyberpower did send driver discs for all the components.

I'm also going to look into uninstalling SP1 and then apply the hotfixes later tonight, after the Olympics Swimming events. Got to watch Michael Phelps make history! :celebrate

26. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try the chipset reinstall, before the SP1.
    This may be newer than your driver on disc. (Direct download from ASUS)
    NVIDIA MCP55 Package Driver V1.08 for Windows Vista

I noticed your Everest report says Vista Beta and the driver from ASUS is also a Beta.
    Also Everest does not show your OS as SP1. :confused
    He was incredible, last night, in the 200 meter Freestyle. :hyper
    BTW He is a Michigan grown athelete.:strong

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  27. Mimsy

Huh? :confused I am confused as well. I will investigate this further, after the next swim meet.

And if you want to see incredible, go to nbc.com and find the men's 4x 100 relay and watch Jason Lezak. Holy. Fricking. Crap! That might be the best performance of these entire Olympic Games, right there, last leg of the relay. Talk about beasting it. :strong

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That could be a part of the problem. If your Vista is actually Beta and not Edition 6.00.6001, there may have been a big conflict with the SP1, but that is not something I know much about.

Seen it, thanks. :)
    I swam varsity for 4 years in high school (100 Backstroke 200 IM and the occasional 100 Butterfly) The Olympic swimming events are a never-miss thing with me. ;)

29. Mimsy

That would explain a ton of things. I will definitely look further into this.

Meanwhile, I hear Michal Phelps is coming up in another final on the TV soon... I need to leave the room to go watch him.

I was never on a swim team (though I was on track & field, 100m dash), but I fully appreciate outstanding performances when I see them. I watched that video from NBC at least eight times today, while at work. And a Swedish swimmer, Stefan Nystrand, made it to the finals in free style just a while ago. Phelps and the others might crush him, but for a country with a population smaller than New York City, it's not bad. I'm happy for my native country. :)

30. Mimsy

Last night, while working on something unrelated, I noticed that my Vista computer now is lacking USB support as well. When I plug in a USB drive it tries to install a driver for it, then fails, and the drive is nowhere to be found. It never pops up offering to autoplay anything, and it is not listed in device manager either. On the XP computer the drive works fine.

Grrr.

31. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It does sound like a possible chipset driver problem. The chipset driver is needed for the motherboard hardware to be recognized.
    Definitely, get it reinstalled.

32. Mimsy

Okay, progress report so far:

1. Downloaded driver, scanned it with Avast, then checked to make sure there was a 64-bit version in there. Unzipped the archive.

2. Had the bright idea to log out of my account and in to Adminstrator, and install the driver there.

3. Had an even brighter idea and created a restore point, then went on to install the downloaded driver, and rebooted.

4. Went back into Administrator and checked how things were working. Got a message about nearly 14 Vista updates, so installed them too. More rebooting.

5. Got a message that there was a new driver available for my chipset. Installed it, thinking it can't hurt, and rebooted for the third time.

6. Once more back in Administrator, plugged in the Zen Touch, and found it under Other Devices in device manager, with a yellow question mark. Attempted to install a driver for it, and got the message "windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it"

I am puzzled.

33. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try plugging in your Zen, and going to Control Panel>Add Hardware and follow the wizard.
    I believe, after your updates, that your chipset can be ruled out now. Just a matter of getting the Zen's driver installed.
    Have the other MTP problems changed?

34. Mimsy

It took me a little bit, the player is plugged in via an Ac adapter/charger, and I had to be a bit creative with the cables, to keep it plugged in to AC power while plugging it in to the computer. I am unable to install it as a standard MTP device, and when I looked for manufacturer drivers, Creative Labs is not in the list of drivers in the wizard.

Sadly, no. I'm considering getting back in to the Administrator account and try dlb's suggestions about removing Sp1, installing hotfixes, and then reinstalling SP1. I have a very recent restore point, so I should be okay.

35. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Good luck, Mims. I have run out of ideas. :(
    I will keep an eye out and research some more, but something is alluding me and I can't seem to figure out what it is.

36. Mimsy

Likewise, and I hate it. I hate being stumped ,I hate being defeated by a stupid @!#$%$#%^&$#@ computer.

I really don't like the notion of reinstalling vista, but I will do that if I have to. Regardless, whatever solution I find that actually works, I will post here.

37. Mimsy

VICTORY!! :celebrate

Here's what I did:

1. Logged in to Administrator and uninstalled SP1, rebooted.

2. Logged in to Administrator account again, and reinstalled SP1 and then rebooted.

3. Logged in to my own account and plugged in the Creative Zen Touch. It showed up under Other Devices in Device Manager, and had a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

4. Right-clicked on the Zen Touch and selected Uninstall.

5. Still in Device Manager, clicked on Action > Scan for hardware changes

Vista reported successful install of a Creative Zen Touch, and it is syncing up with Media Monkey as I type this.

Thank you both for hanging in there and giving me suggestions and help along the way. :drink (<- bottled appreciation :) )

38. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Cool.
    I couldn't have done this without you. LOL
    Glad it's fixed and that it was really a bad SP1 install. That will be good info for later use.

39. Mimsy

I'm really glad it's fixed too... I hope I got all the steps of the solution in there though. If this happens to anyone else, I don't want them to have to suffer it for nearly a month before they find a solution.

40. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I had a strong feeling that uninstalling SP1 would be a real good start. Glad to hear that you finally got this figured out! Good job!!! :highfive

41. Mimsy

Thanks for suggesting uninstalling it in the first place. :)

All my new music will be on the player soon... every single bit of it... :drool It will be glorious!

42. Mimsy

It's too late for me to edit my original post, so I'm posting like this instead. I've been thinking back, and I think that the first time I installed SP1 I did it from my own user account, most likely out of habit. Vista, being extremely picky with file permission, probably went nuts from that, and could have been what caused my problems. In the future all major OS updates need to be installed from the Administrator account.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds