lost pics.... please help if you can!

Discussion in 'Software' started by was240, Oct 8, 2007.

1. was240

was240 Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I did something stupid a while back now and cant seem to fix it and dont know if I can. I had recieved a virus and did a system recovery to my PC everything worked out ok but when I tried using my kodak easy share software there was problems and since I couldnt seem to find the disk I just downloaded the new one of the internet. Now the problem is that I can see my pics there but when I click on them it tells me the file exists but may be damaged, is there anyone out here that could help my out with this, I really dont want to lose all those pics, and I know I did learn my lesson about backing things up!

Thanks

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try to open the pictures with another software program, and save the picture to your hard drive. I would try Picasa http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4476.html it's free, it will search, locate and index every image on your system.

Steve

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

How long ago did you do the system recovery? Can you do a System Restore to try and get back to a point before the system recovery?

You could try Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and try using the calendar to go back to before the date of the System Recovery. If you can get back to before the recovery and see your photos, you could copy them to a CD/DVD disk and after having them safe then undo the restore to get back to a virus free system.

If there are no Restore points (which often is the case) before your recovery; I hope others can give you more detailed advice.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Where exactly is there? on the computer, on a CD/DVD or on a camera card?

5. was240

was240 Private E-2

ok first of I tried the picasa, it does a good job at finding the pics that I can already see but thanks for the help anyways.

sach2- yes you are coreect I never did a restore point but I have after I had this problem, we all learn from are mistakes well I hope we do anyways.

plodr- I can see my pics in my kodak easy share software program on my PC but just as thumbs but when you click on them it it tells me the file exists but damaged, I dont know what else to say I am trying to download some software to help locate them so we will see, but anymore help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  6. psilos

psilos Private E-2

Does this program store pics as separate jpegs or as a native file as xxx.dat or whatever?If they exist as jpegs try "jpeg recover v2" it does a good job.Give it a try.

7. repsak

repsak Private E-2

I use the Kodak website, too. I enter all my photos into documents to place them on the website. Can you do that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds